Chapter 2

Shekhar had Laksh's clothes brought over. 

They allowed him to rest without disturbing him. 

Shambhu kaka had handed him his phone to check if it was working. Shekhar had even offered to provide him with a temporary replacement one, if it didn't work. But miraculously, it had started working thanks to whatever Shambhu kaka had done to it.

Shekhar was sitting with Swara at the dining table, waiting for all the food to be brought out for lunch. Shekhar had asked Shambhu kaka to serve Laksh in his room, so as not to tax him any further.

"Baba. He is a stranger. You never allow strangers in your office, let along our home," Swara spoke quietly, "Why..." 

Shekhar raised his hand, signaling her to be quiet

"I would have never liked to have a stranger in our house," Shekhar said firmly, "But I am forced to, thanks to the situation you have put us in. If I don't, it could lead to complications for you, that I would like to avoid."

"But Baba, he is a stranger. How can we trust him in our house?" Swara pleaded

"Swara! Enough!" Shekhar reprimanded her

"Your daughter is right, Mr Gadodia," Laksh said as he limped slowly towards the table. Effort of the walk showed on his face even though he was going out of his way for it to not show through.

Now that he was standing, it was clear that the he was fairly tall as Dr Bose had mentioned. 

His eyes spoke of sincerity for some reason–though Shekhar couldn't pinpoint the reason for it– along with intelligence.

"Mr Agarwal, you shouldn't have strained yourself with coming over here. I had asked Shambhu to serve you in your room," Shekhar said plainly

"It is Laksh, please," he said, resting his hand on the chair next to Shekhar's on the other side from Swara. 

"He did come with the food, but I thought it would be rude to the hospitality you have offered me. I hope I haven't made you uncomfortable by my presence," he explained.

Shekhar motioned him to sit on the chair he was resting against.

"No, not at all. You are more than welcome to join us for lunch. We just didn't want to tax you in your state"

"It was no bother," Laksh said. He looked at Swara for a second before looking back at Shekhar "Actually I wanted to talk to you. I am really thankful for your hospitality, please don't think otherwise," he said with utmost sincerity "But I think it might be best if I return back to my hotel shortly"

Shekhar looked at his daughter primly before responding, "Please don't leave on account of the comments my daughter had made. She is a child. She doesn't always know the best way to behave," he turned to Laksh, "I hope nothing was untoward here which is causing you discomfort"

"No nothing on those lines My Gadodia," Laksh assured him. "I just don't want to be a bother for any one."

"It is no bother at all. You will stay here until you are well," Shekhar said, his tone indicating finality of his decision.

"You said you are here for job interview. What exactly is it that you do?" Shekhar asked changing the subject

"I am a management consultant. I specialize in corporate turnaround," Laksh explained

"I didn't realize there were many firms in Kolkata engaged in providing the service. I would have assumed most are based out of Mumbai, where you are based," Shekhar commented critically