Chapter 21

Sanskar's words brought her back to the present "I wish you were there. I wish you didn't have to see that or go through it" he said softly

"We both cannot change the past" she said, acknowledging the truth

"I knew" Sanskar said softly, even as Swara's head snapped up to meet his eyes "I knew about the fraud. I knew that your father was involved." Seeing her questioning look he explained "Bajaj would have never been able to pull this alone in the partnership unless atleast one more partner was in it with him. Knowing the way dad was, I was sure it was your father"

Swara nodded quietly

"And we already knew he tried to cover this up to protect your mother and you, and now it seems for his own sake as well. But he didn't murder Dad. Durga Prasad did" Sanskar said

"You don't understand" Swara said, agitated again "If Bade Papa is murderer because he stabbed Ram uncle, then Baba and Tarun Bajaj are murderers too, because they let Ram uncle die"

"But Dad was already dead when they tried to cover it up" Sanskar said

"No he wasn't!" Swara said, tears streaming down her eyes again

"What are you saying?" Sanskar asked shocked

"Ram uncle was alive when Baba and Tarun Bajaj were discussing the cover up. I would hear him. He called out to Baba a couple of times before his voice died down to painful gurgles. They just watched him as he died. They could have helped him. He could have been saved, but they never tried" Swara said burrowing into him sobbing again.

Sanskar's heart skipped a beat. A painful lump formed in his throat as he sank into the bed against the pillow. A tear trickled down from the side of his eye. He had always known that his Dad had been betrayed by those closest to him. He had known for years that he had experienced a painful death, but somewhere in there, he has believed that it was been swift to grant him some mercy from all the deceit. But that too hadn't been the case. No, his Dad had experienced the worst betrayals of all, as almost all of those close to him betrayed him and then if that hadn't been enough, he has experienced a slow brutal and painful death. And for what? Trying to do the right thing?

Sanskar's thoughts were broken by Swara's words

"I am going to tell the police everything. I am going to testify against all of them" Swara said against his chest

He pulled her back "You aren't going to do any such thing. You are not going to be involved in this case and with these people anymore. I have already lost Mom and Dad. I cannot lose you. These are men without scruples and morals. I will not risk you" he told her firmly

"We cannot let them off. We have to punish them for what they did" She told him vehemently, tears still making their way down her cheeks

Sanskar wiped the tears off her cheeks. His voice was distant as he said the next words, though his actions towards her, as he caressed her cheeks were still warm. "I always wondered why Dad had named his company Karma. It felt like a strange name for a company. The company may not mean much, but the word will" he said quietly

"What are we going to do Sanskar?" Swara asked

"Nothing" Sanskar told her, meeting her eyes, stopping her before she cut him "And yet a lot"

"I don't understand" Swara asked him

"Why did Durga Prasad kill my Dad? Because he wanted power, success and money. He wanted to run his company his way. He didn't want to be caged" Sanskar said looking at Swara, who nodded "Right now he is in jail, caged. When the world hears about this and the charges against him, which they will through the press contact that I do have, all without our name every coming up, what do you think with happen?" he asked her, before answering with "Police will find it difficult to lose the evidence, especially with this paper is made public as well. His investors will pull all the money out of his dear company. He never handed the power down to anyone. Without him, the company will fall apart. And no one including Adarsh Bhaiyaa will be able to save it. He will get the fruits of his action, the ones he was preciously trying to avoid"