Chapter 14

As planned and advised by Vishwas, Sanskar was at the toll booth close to the Kasba Industrial Estate a little before 9PM. Vishwas arrived promptly at 9PM, in a Mahindra SUV.

"You didn't get your car, Sir?" Vishwas asked as Sanskar strapped his seat belt in.

"I parked it at the mall. I didn't want anyone to spot it and get suspicious" Sanskar explained

"Sir, I hope you don't have to have more such meetings, but if you do, please remember that the first rule of safety is to always ensure you have an escape plan. Park the car an alley or two away, but in case you need it, you at least have a quick way to get away from the place. You are not dependent on taxis." Vishwas told him in his usual humble way. Sanskar nodded

"Why are we here so early?" Sanskar asked him

"This way if there is a trap or some untoward elements associated with the meeting, we will reach the place before them and be aware of our surroundings. We will also know how to use the place to our benefit in the night setting" Vishwas explained.

He slowly pulled the car into an alley that seemed to behind an old and abandoned chemicals factory, parking the vehicle close to the entrance. Sanskar had never been in this area before. Roy had asked them to meet him close to a recently build warehouse that was as yet unoccupied and unrented despite numerous ads in industrial journals. Vishwas said that the warehouse was almost across the front façade of this factory.

Sanskar followed behind Vishwas as they made their way around the building towards the front. The area was dimly lit and there wasn't anyone around in to oversea security of the area since there wasn't much to plunder around at that moment. There were a couple of old multi tenant buildings around at some distance from the meeting place, but only some seem to have their lights on indicating that most either were unoccupied or had closed for the day, given the hour of night.

The warehouse building itself had a couple of bright night lights on and seemed to have CCTV installation probably in anticipation of the requirements of the next occupant. But the lights themselves only lit the entrance leaving the rest in relative darkness. Sanskar was a bit apprehensive of this since it would be difficult to spot any trap in the darkness, but Vishwas felt that it also helped them remain safe and hide in the shadows much better. They found a relatively dark corner that was behind some old plastic drums that were most likely empty and had been so for years looking at the grim built on them.

"Now we wait" Vishwas said. Sanskar couldn't see Vishwas or his eyes, but something told him that Vishwas was alert and watching their surroundings with a keen eye.

As time passed, Sanskar's eyes adjusted to the darkness surrounding them. He could spot the empty chair close to one end of the warehouse, probably meant for a day watchman. He could vaguely make out the metal door that probably marked a side entrance into the factory. The main entrance seemed to be further away and he could make out some heavy chains around it probably bolting it.

Despite knowing decent bit about Vishwas, Sanskar has been cautious about sharing too much with Vishwas. If he were honest, he could easily say that he didn't really trust anyone in his life besides his Cookie. Years of torment that he went through, had conditioned him such. Unlike usual, in Vishwas's case, it had nothing to do with Vishwas himself and everything to do with him. Vishwas was an ex-army man and hailed from a family who had deep roots in the army. An unfortunate accident while transporting critical cargo to one of the border points had left his with a mental rod in his shin and an honorable discharge from service. Deprived of his aspiration, he had turned his sight to the next closest thing that connect with him, personal safety of some of the same civilians he protected earlier in the uniform.