4

Gray

Gray was speechless. His eyes were wandering back and forth between the old man and the mysterious woman, glimmering with disbelief and shock.

Earlier, when Makarov claimed the azure haired beauty was the actual Goddess of the Juvia Ocean, Gray had instinctively jumped to denial.

"C'mon, old man. You can't be serious about this. How would that even be possible?" he had asked, his voice dripping with scepticism.

While Juvia's expression was unreadable, Makarov smiled. It was a happy smile, a fulfilled smile. But instead of bringing a counter argument, the white bearded man simply suggested:

"Would you two like some tea? You must be exhausted. Let's move this
conversation to my living room, there we can be warmby the fire."

Silence.

Gray frowned and tilted his head to the side. He found this conversation to be... odd. He already felt a headache coming.

"Juvia does not know what this 'tea' of yours is." Juvia broke the silence, a big question mark on her head. She had her head tilted, though she faced the old man and not Gray. From the looks of it, she searched her brain for a definition of tea but didn't find one.

She actually did not know what tea was.

Just that sentence alone seemed so comically strange to Gray.

"Well, then. It's time that you learn what it is. They say tea soothes an ailing soul. Now please, the living room is right over there, through this door.​It does not suit a goddess to stand in the hallway."

So, Juvia and Gray had moved from the hallway to the living room, while Makarov trotted towards the kitchen.

The odd woman was seated on the cozy dark green sofa and visibly relaxed once she sat down. Her seat was nearest to the wall and also therefore closest to the already burning chimney. It was the only thing audible in the room; ­the crackling of the burning wood and the bright flames licking on the stone walls it was surrounded with.

Vis-­à-­vis, there was another sofa ­ though it was only made for one person while on Juvia's couch there could fit three people ­ on which Gray was supposed to sit but he prefered to stand.

Or rather he prefered to stare at a wall, pretending to look at different pictures and paintings, than to sit across this weird woman in awkward silence.

He had nothing to say to her.

No, that's not true.

He didn't know what to say to her.

Partly true.

He also didn't know how to word his thoughts without sounding like a complete jackass.

Now that's more like it.

"Juvia is sorry."

With that whispered sentence, the azure beauty put an end to his mental ramblings. Reluctantly, Gray turned
around slowly to face Juvia. She just stared into the fire, never taking her eyes off the blaze. She seemed to be
fascinated by the bright golds and scarlets of the flames.