6

Juvia

     She kind of liked the morning when it was still dark. Then, the blue and mauve ink under her tired eyes would be swirling around in the sky instead.

      Juvia didn't understand why people liked to mention hair colour and eye colour and such when describing each other. People were born with those characteristics, and they meant nothing. What was worth noting was how worn out the eyes looked, how rough their hands were, how faded their smile was.

      "Excuse me, my dear. You're standing in the way." Makarov startled Juvia, and she let out a little squeak as she moved out of the doorway so that the man could pass.

     Makarov had tired, worn out eyes and rough, worked hands, but his smile had not faded. They may have sad distant eyes tugging them up at the corners, but he still meant every one.

     "Hey, Juvia." She looked down the cottage's porch at Gray, who had an extra dark aura of storm clouds following him this morning. Although he was usually a quiet, contemplative man with no wasted words, this morning he had woken up extra irritable and impatient. He didn't waste a single moment gathering all his belongings to head off and meet Ur and Lyon, early and before the sun rose as promised.

     "Uh, yes?" Juvia jumped a little at the sterness of Gray's voice, clenching her elbows into her sides.

     "If you're coning then don't just dawdle in the doorway. We don't have time to waste. Here." Gray roughly jerked a black bag towards her, seemingly made of durable material with a black matte. When Juvia hesitated and questioned the gesture, Gray answered bluntly. "Grab it."

    She hopped down the stairs, passing Makarov on his slow journey descending before slinging the bag over her back, imitating Gray. "This is quite light. Is their nothing in the bag?"

     Gray shook his head, waving at Makarov as he approached. "Nope. We'll be stopping at a village sometime tonight and we need as many bags as possible to carry food and supplies and stuff. For the journey."

     Juvia still had no idea where they were journeying too, what the purpose was, and exactly with whom they were travelling with besides the names of the mysterious Ur and Lyon. However, Gray was going and she had come all this way to follow him.

     "Hey, Gray?" She said cautiously, taking care not to call him the "d" word which was darling. Especially when he was in such an irritable mood.

    Gray simply glanced at her, only angling his head slightly in her direction. Juvia knew that it meant he was listening, since he wasted no energy and meant every little motion.

    "Umm, Gray, Juvia is very sorry to trouble you in asking, but she does not understand. Why do you so suddenly want Juvia coming with you?" She fiddled with her fingers in front of her, thinking back to the dark attic they had been sleeping in earlier that morning.

-

    "Juvia. I remember. I'm leaving this morning. Come with me."

    Gray's breathe had tickled her ear as she lay under blankets on the floor curled in a ball, eyes closed. By the time she blinked her heavy eyes open, the only thing left of Gray was the sounds of his steps down the creaking stairs and the doubt if Juvia had heard right, or if she was dreaming in her lucid state.