Learning to be Beautiful ~6~

“Get out of my way, pig-face.”That same brunette girl with the perfect ringlets, Michelle, sneered, pushing me roughly out of her way as I walked down the hallway towards my class. I didn't fight back, I just let myself stumble. I had long ago learned that fighting back only brought on more trouble. It was better to be submissive. The taunting didn't last quite as long that way.

Why do you let her push you around like that?” The voice startled me and I looked up, momentarily stunned.

A boy stood in front of me. His skin was lightly tanned and his deep, ebony hair was cut in a messy, boyish fashion. What struck me the most was his warm, open brown eyes. They just stared straight at me with a sweet innocence.

Why do you let her push you around like that?” The boy repeated, his dark brows furrowing over his beautiful eyes.

I shrugged and said nothing, then kept walking down the hallway, my books clutched tightly to my chest.

I had expected never to see the boy again, but my expectations were met. At lunch that day, he sat at my usually empty table and ate his lunch in silence with me. He was in two of my classes, and sat next to me in both of them, saying nothing the entire class period.

At the end of the day, Michelle caught up to me and shoved me out of her way again. Again, I did nothing. The brown-eyed boy did, however.

Don't do that!” He shouted, taking me by my shoulders and pushing me behind him. He was puffing his scrawny little chest out, and his small hands were clenched into fists at his sides. “Leave her alone!”

Michelle took a step back, clearly surprised that a small boy like the one in front of me had the audacity to stand up to her. She quickly regained her composure, though, and turned her attention to the brave boy protecting me.“Lookee here, pig-face has gotten herself a boyfriend.” She laughed meanly, but no one laughed along with her, something that fazed her a bit. “What's your name, Squirt?”

The boy ignored her, but stayed where he was.

Move out of the way, Tiny.”Michelle growled, poking him in his thin chest.

Make me.” He hissed back with just as much venom.

Michelle, in the end, didn't make him move, but gave in. Shrugging, she moved away, and walked down the steps.

Thank you,” I whispered from behind him, and he turned to look at me, a huge smile lighting up his face.