Learning to be Beautiful ~17~

• Dedicated to Samantha Stern, tu es belle, mon cher, tant à l'intérieur et l'extérieur.

As I looked at myself in my mother’s full length mirror, I turned sideways and frowned. My shape had never been perfect, and the form-fitting dress my mother had loaned me only accentuated that imperfection. At a size nine, I wasn’t exactly the thinnest of all young women my age. I didn’t like to wear two piece swim-suits because I felt like I was too fat for them. I rarely wore skinny jeans, for fear that my legs would appear too thick in them, and form-fitting shirts were a no-no. This dress I was wearing was entirely uncharacteristic for me, but I had nothing else to wear.

With a sigh, I turned away from my reflection and slipped my feet into uncomfortably high heels before exiting my room and clacking my way to the front door. Linc stood ready by the door, dark hair smoothed back nicely with only a single stray strand falling in front of his face. He was wearing one of Pierre’s designs: a simple black shirt, no special decorations, and plain ebony slacks. The only pop of color he was wearing was a purple silk tie.

“All dressed up and ready to go, I see.” Linc’s intensely green eyes looked me up and down appraisingly and I struggled against the urge to squirm under his gaze. His voice was monotone—as it almost always was.

“You seem so enthusiastic about this.” I laughed a little bit and moved a little bit to the right, so that I wasn’t fully in his line of view.

“Oh yes, being sold off to women has me absolutely chuffed to bits.” The male model rolled his eyes just as my mother walked into the foyer.

“Lyn, dearest, you look beautiful!” She swept into the room elegantly despite her ridiculously high heels, and placed her hands on my shoulders. “This dress is absolutely perfect for you!”

My face colored and I looked down at my toes, “Thanks, Mom.”

“And Linc, you look quite dashing. A design of Pierre’s, no?”

A small smile flitted across the Brit’s face, “Indeed it is, ma’am; and may I just say you look just ravishing tonight?”

My mom giggled girlishly and waved her designer clutch at Linc, “Oh, stop with the flattery, Linc, or I may just try to steal you away from Calphurnia.” Linc laughed in time with my mother as I stood there, feeling awkward and out of place in my own home.

After a few moments more, I could no longer take it and coughed awkwardly. Both of them stopped in their mirthful actions and looked at me, questioning me with their facial expressions. “Er, uh, we need to go, or we’ll be late.”

With a small frown, Linc glanced down at his watch, “Where on earth is Calphurnia?” He muttered, shifting his weight backwards so that he could peer out of the window. “She should have been here by now.”

As if on cue, the door was flung open and a very winded looking Callie flew into the room, short hair messy and skirt slightly ruffled. “I’m here! I’m here!” She cried, “Don’t worry, I made it!” Callie stopped short, arms outstretched so that she could her balance and Linc shook his head bemusedly at her entrance.

“There you are, Callie!” My mom smiled, and moved towards the door, “Now we can go.”