Learning to be Beautiful ~27~

True to his word, Pierre threw another charity gala in August, benefiting the same organization as before. And, again, true to his word, dances with me were put up for auction.

 I hadn't known how the whole dance-auctioning thing had worked before, but evidently, Pierre sent out invitations bearing the names of every person available to dance with. A small head-shot was put to the left of the names to show the invitee what the availables looked like, and a small check box was to the very right to mark who the person wished to dance with. The invitations were then collected at the door, the requests tallied, and a dance card was quickly filled out for all the available models. If a model was over booked, the invitee was offered the option of either dropping the dance or choosing a different model.

Because he wanted me to look my very best, Pierre did not have me help set up his home for the gala the day before, but instead sent me away with Callie to go dress shopping armed with his credit card.

The willowy young woman was full of energy as she picked me up in her little, red, convertible Mini-Cooper at my house and sped away towards the nearest outlet mall. The music in her car was turned up to a near-deafening level, and she sang along to all the songs with gusto. She had the top of her car down and the wind produced blew her hair back in an unfairly glamorous fashion. While her short hair blew black cleanly, my longer  hair blew straight into my face and tangled together, making it difficult to see and creating impossible knots.

"Doesn't the wind in your hair feel great?" She asked, shouting above the sound of her music and the whistle of the wind in our ears.

I opened my mouth to reply and got a mouthful of hair. Because I couldn't reply, I just nodded my head and kept my lips tightly sealed for the rest of the car ride.

We arrived at an outlet mall in a record time of only twenty minutes and Callie quickly parked and threw her door open.

"This is going to be so. Much. Fun!" she said, eyes bright with excitement. Her hair was still slightly wind-blown, so she ran her fingers through her hair to re-style it quickly. Her hair had grown out a little bit in the past two months, and her bangs had begun to fall into her eyes in a alluringly mysterious way.

As soon as I was out of the car, the taller girl grabbed me by my wrist and towed me into the nearest clothing store. Together, we headed to the women's dress section and began sifting through the racks, looking for something suitable to wear. In what seemed like five seconds flat, Callie already had three dresses in her hands and was flying towards the next rack to find something for me to try on. I had barely finished looking at one of the many dresses the store had to offer.