CHAPTER 4: STRANGER DANGER, GRANGER!

Hermione apparated back to the muggle apartment and collapsed onto her bed, face first, before screaming into it as loudly as her vocal cords would allow it.

Twice.

Malfoy had found and kidnapped her twice.

In all of two years, what was the probability that he would do that twice in the same week, opposed to the trained Aurors whose job was to catch her?

If she'd still been at her job, she'd have hired him immediately.

Twice, and both times, to that god-awful place. She chided herself for allowing herself to get emotional in his presence. No matter how bad the memories were, she should have handled that better. Saying please to Malfoy of all people, knowing him, he was only going to get even more curious and chase after her harder.

She would probably see him tomorrow with her and his luck. At least he hadn't handed her over to the Ministry yet. The only reason she could come up with for that was that he simply didn't need any more vaults at Gringott's.

He had enough money to last him seven life times.

Hermione found it hard to believe that he was questioning her for Pansy's sake. Malfoy had called off the engagement with Pansy a few days before her unfortunate demise, and he'd never really liked her, so he didn't particularly have any remorse over his choices.

No, he just wanted to know why Hermione Granger was killing people.

Hermione wished she knew the answer, and then maybe he would leave her alone. The last thing she needed were more people getting hurt because they decided to involve themselves into her messed up life.

The last person to try and help her had been Dean. Once he'd found out that it wasn't her, he'd contacted her early in his watch of her, and promised to help her find the real killer. A few days later, he'd been killed and the death had been blamed on her.

She didn't need any more people, even Draco Malfoy, ending up dead because they wanted to help her. Lying on her back, she stared blankly at the grey ceiling above her, wondering what Harry and Ron were doing right now.

Perhaps they were in America, following up her false lead? Or back at home where they had people they loved watching out for them? Did they miss her at all? Or where they so caught up in trying to catch her that they'd forgotten all about the fact that they all once used to be friends?

Feeling both irritated with Malfoy and saddened by thoughts of her friends, she fell into a fitful sleep, her dreams dark and murky, suggesting that things were only going to get worse.

.*.

The silent alarm set to ring if someone broke into her apartment, went off, and Hermione woke up and with a flick of her wand, gathered all her things into her bag at once, removing all traces of her existence with another flick before taking a breath and observing the situation.

Another ward went off, alerting her that whoever it was, was using magic.

If this was Malfoy again, she was going to hand herself in to the Ministry.

She tucked her shrunken bag into her back pocket and stood by her bed, where the view of the door was the best, wand at the ready for whatever was going to be sent her way.

Her ears picked up footsteps creeping towards the bedroom and she felt her heart rate pick up in anticipation. Heavy footsteps with no sense of rhythm or grace, nor any attempt to be quiet. Even if she hadn't placed wards, whoever this was, would've woken her up anyway.