Six - Eyes On The Inside

The situation didn't improve after that. Ever since the Christmas Eve attack, they'd been getting more numerous, the Naturals continuing to cart people away, killing any that resisted. It made us completely rethink what we'd been discussing in hurried whispers between lessons and at night. Besides, what did a group of girls who really didn't know how to wield their powers have against Naturals that also didn't know how to use them, but were exponentially more dangerous? Going up against them on our own would surely get us killed.

"I suppose we could always try and master our powers some more," Cath said the evening I'd brought the topic up. "I've wanted to experiment with clouds and things."

"I still don't know how to grow plants or anything," Mags added. "Always wanted to master that."

"I know you're all are very interested in trying to experiment with your power." I took a deep breath, cutting into the conversation. "I am too. I can't even make a flame without concentrating. But those Naturals, they're dangerous, every last one of them. They're so unpredictable we can't even draw out a sound battle plan."

"And goodness knows what happened to the Order officials." Cath shuddered. "It was a bloodbath, the rumour goes."

"See, there's the problem. What do we do? I, for one, do not want to just sit here and wait for them to come to us. It'll be too late by then." I pounded my fist into my palm, sending sparks flying from my fingertips.

"You're certainly right, Emma." Cath nodded, running a tired hand over her face. "We're stuck. We'd like so much to get to them before they get us, and yet they'd kill us if we did."

"And not to mention they're still scouring London for any other Elementals," Sam said. Rather unhelpfully, I thought. "Not sure where they're going to strike next. Both my mum and dad have fled to Wales. They're expecting me there as soon as this year finishes."

"Lucky you get to scarper." Cath shook her head. "We're lucky they haven't found us yet. I don't even want to know what they'd do to us if they did."

"Well, you saw some of it," I said, rubbing my knee where I'd split it. It was a reminder of what they were capable of, if nothing else. "Because of me."

"How'd they get up here, anyway?" Celia squeaked, sounding frightened. "They must have sensed you."

"Sebastian," I said, thinking back to his clear trail in the snow. "I'll bet anything they followed him."

"Followed him?" Cath's voice dropped to a terrified whisper. "How can that be?"

"Haven't the foggiest idea." I pounded my fists into my forehead with every word. "But they'd found us. He must've led them straight to us with his tracks."

"You really should be more careful, Em. You could get seriously hurt going out there alone." Cath's eyes turned a restless churning grey, a sure sign she was worried.

"What we need is to think of a better way to meet. He's my best source for that news, so I can't cut him off or stop meeting him." Not to mention a way that wouldn't have us risking our necks every time we stepped out of doors.

"You two are still in love, aren't you?" Celia asked then. Her way of dropping in questions that were completely unrelated to the topic of conversation, not to mention how private it was, still irked me.

"If you're asking if he's put forth his offer to court me, then yes," I said, trying to keep the snappish tone out of my voice.

"He wants to court you?" Celia leaned forward, suddenly much too interested for comfort. "But you're not even old enough to be presented!"