Twenty-One - Fortuitous Union

Our engagement was a swift one. Less than five months passed before Grandmother had everything arranged, down to who would walk me down the aisle. She had me fitted for a dress, an off-white lacy affair with a train that would certainly need a few small children to carry. And yet when I had it on, once it had been made on a rush order and delivered, I didn't recognise myself. I hardly did these days.

"My dear girl, you are simply beautiful," Grandmother said, as she stood behind me in the mirror. "Peter would have been proud of the young lady you've become."

I nodded, but didn't reply. My father would have liked Christopher, I knew that much. They were alike in a way, in their protectiveness and loyalty.

Then a knock, and Lowell's voice rumbled from outside.

"Miladies, there is a Mr Wellington here to see Miss Emma."

Grandmother gave a start, as I did. Why was he here now?

"What does he want?" she asked when she'd gotten her voice back.

"He would like to know what sort of flowers to get for the arrangements."

"We haven't thought about it," said Grandmother, and I heard a tiredness in her voice, just like mine. "Tell him we will be down shortly to speak with him."

"He is quite eager, miladies, I must say. I have never seen a man in such a state of joy." Lowell sounded confused, but there was a note of happiness in his voice.

I blushed at those words. I had never had that effect on anyone, and these past few weeks had been a bewildering rush of feelings I'd never felt before. Of course I wanted to marry Christopher. That had never been in doubt. Yet I was unsure of what to think of what happened after that. I would be spending my life with a man who loved me with his whole being, and I loved him back. I truly did. But at the same time, I couldn't believe he'd come all the way here simply to ask about flowers. It was possible that wasn't the real reason at all.

"What are you thinking about, Emma?" Grandmother asked me when Lowell had gone away saying that he would tell Christopher to wait in the drawing room.

"I never thought I would be here is all, Grandmother." I took a deep breath, a difficult thing with my corset in the way.

"Everyone has someone for them out in the world, my dear," she said, her eyes softening.

"It's not that, it's..." What was it? "I've never given much thought to my wedding day."

"If this is any consolation, I did not either when I married your grandfather. I hardly knew him, and I was your age...barely old enough to make my own decisions. But it comes with time. That is all I can say."

||

The wedding was finally set for the first day of spring, the buds just emerging on the branches and the green shoots starting to come up through the snow in the garden. And the morning of was unseasonably warm, with a mist clinging low to the ground.

Sophie roused me early, even though I was already awake, leaning against the window frame and letting my eyes roam over the garden. We hardly spoke as we began the preparations. I could feel how anxious she was in everything she did, from jerking on my corset a bit too hard to slicing her finger open on one of my hairpins.

"Can't believe, Miss, that after today you won't just be Miss Emma anymore." Finally she spoke when she'd helped me into my dress.

"Nothing will change, Sophie, I promise you." I took her hand and squeezed it. "Grandmother has approved of my appointing you to be my lady's maid, but you will not have to treat me any differently, I promise you."