Twenty-Five - Life Worth Living

Arthur led our group, while some of the other Order members formed a protective wall around me. Sebastian stayed close by, his hand resting in the middle of my back and gently urging me forward. I longed for Christopher's comforting arms, his eyes, his lips. It hurt how much I wanted him near me. Every time he touched me I felt respected, loved, beautiful even. I would go on just to have it again. I had to push myself forward for it, though. Huntley's reign would end, and soon.

"We found the others when we came in," Arthur said when we stopped to rest again, at the top of a winding and hurriedly chiselled set of steps. "Mr Fullerton and Miss Fairfax none the worse for wear, but Miss Ashbury...she is injured."

I thought of Cath the last time I'd seen her. She'd been happy and smiling, for the moment unaware of what lay ahead. I was scared to ask, but I did anyway.

"How injured?"

"Huntley must have done it." Arthur gripped the back of his neck, his eyes dark and steely grey. "He crippled her. She told me when he snatched her, he shattered her kneecap so she couldn't escape. The worst pain she'd ever felt, she said. That is why I caution you, Emma...she will not be as you remember her."

Instantly the image rose up in front of me, of Cath cowering on the ground in a heap and Huntley standing over her, a heavy club clutched in his hand. I could almost hear the crack of bone against it as it came down, and Cath's screams. And I kept hearing them, as he shattered her knee, while knowing full well the whole time it would cripple her for life. The vision was so vivid it seemed to have happened before my eyes instead of in my imagination.

I clenched my fists, so tightly my nails bit into my palms. "We must go to them. Now."

This time Arthur didn't protest. All he did was nod. "As you wish."

||

Somewhere along the way, my resolve slipped again. I felt myself flagging, my feet numb and bleeding from the sharp stone. The look in Huntley's eyes as he'd trapped me against the wall, with the full intention of having me right then and there, returned. I staggered against Sebastian on one side, and a second man on the other. They both caught me as my knees buckled, lowering me to the ground gently.

"Please, Arthur," I begged, hating the way my voice cracked. "Can we stop? Just for another moment?"

He stopped, waving the others onward. Sebastian lingered, but Arthur managed to get rid of him as well. Then he lowered himself to the ground in front of me, gently cupping my face and wiping away tears I hadn't even noticed were there.

"I can't do it, Arthur," I said, my voice shaky and hoarse. "I can't..."

"I understand your fear, Emma, I do." He gently kissed my forehead, over the bruise. "But you must. For your life, and for everyone else's."

"What if..." My voice dropped to a whisper, and as I closed my eyes more tears pushed their way out. "What if I can't do it? What if he kills me first?"

"He won't, and you know why?" I felt him tuck some hair behind my ear. "Emma, look at me."

Reluctantly, I opened my eyes. Our gazes met, his now a soft powder-blue. His hands stayed on my cheeks, and his thumbs continued to brush away my constant flow of tears.

"This is not something the mind can easily wrap around, and believe me, I would do it for you if it meant I could take away your fear. But you must remember one thing. He is one man, a single individual, and he is after you, also a singular individual. You must show him that, prove to him that all this has ever been is a struggle between two people and it cannot go on." He slid his hand across my cheek and dropped his forehead against mine. "Think of it that way. After all, in the end, that is all it is."