Chapter 3

Oh crap, thought Izzie. She WAS holding Alex's hand. She WAS sitting at his bedside whispering sweet nothing's in his ear.

But she did not come to see him. She did not come back to him. She wasn't there for him at all.

Isobel Stevens was at Seattle Grace to meet with Callie Torres, one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. Her visit had everything to do with orthopedics and nothing to do with the peds surgeon lying in the hospital bed in front of her.

She stumbled upon the Alex and news of his accident by accident. Overhearing some nurses, rushing to his room, something forcing her to check on him. She told herself she was there anyways, why not check, just make sure he was okay.

Jesus, he wasn't okay and something in her stomach, her heart was not letting her leave his side.

She called Callie to reschedule their meeting. Torres couldn't care less about the meeting but knew Arizona needed to know about Alex. Yes, Dr. Karev had turned into her girlfriend's pet project, turned into a damn good peds surgeon, and become a friend. Callie spent many a nights listening to Arizona worry about Dr. "damaged goods."

When Mer and Cristina disowned him for a while, Arizona had filled in. It made Callie love her even more knowing she had such a heart, love to give, to see past all Alex's douchey ways.

Yes, she had to find Arizona.

Alex was waking up again. Not by choice. Better to be asleep, out of it, freakin' pain, freakin' tree. It was all coming back to him.

The dream, vision, nightmare ...Izzie, there in front of him, just like with the shooting. Must be the drugs. Whatever.

Alex opened his eyes.

She was there.

Izzie. Hair longer, a little older, but definitely Izzie.

Damn.

"Iz, what - what- aaahh," Alex couldn't get it out. Chest on fire. Man versus tree, tree won. Tree kicked my ass.

"Alex, sshhhh. Don't try to speak. A tree fell on you."

No shit, he thought before losing consciousness again.

Meredith and Cristina were like a mini tornado coming into the ICU room. Talking about possible treatments, best outcomes, worst outcomes, how to get Alex back to his normal dick ways.

"Izzie? Oh my God, Izzie?" Meredith was embracing her old friend. Happy, well sort of happy to see her but confused.

They hadn't seen each other, talked in such a long time. When a couple breaks up, gets divorced, friends pick a side. Meredith had picked Karev. She liked Izzie, but she loved Alex.

"What's McBoobs doing here?" asked Cristina clearly annoyed with the blond's appearance. Yes, she had picked a side also.

"Cristina!" reprimanded Meredith suppressing a smile.

Arizona rushed in the crowded room looking for Alex, not being able to see his face with all the visitors.

"What the hell happened?" she asked Meredith, Cristina, anyone.

Yang was the most qualified to answer. She ran down the list of injuries, injuries she repaired, hopefully fixed for good. Broken ribs, collapsed lung...he'd recover. Perforated liver and stomach, she'd done her best to repair those. Heart not damaged, at least not by the tree. Now, it was a wait and see situation.

"Prognosis?" asked Arizona concerned for her friend in the bed. He'd wormed his way into her heart and there was no way she was letting him out.

"Peds is badass," he loved to tell her all the while claiming he couldn't stand mini humans. She'd seen him spend too many restless nights by a patient's bedside, too many hours worrying about a patient to know he was full of crap.