Chapter 12

"Wh - whoa! H- hold up," stammered Alex pushing as far away from Meredith as he could. Her legs followed him, as he pushed farther away. Pushed himself right on the floor.

"Crap!" he yelled landing on his side.

"What are you doing? Come back up here," commanded Meredith peering over the side of the bed, hair falling slightly in her face. She was smiling at him which only made Alex more afraid.

"No freaking way," said Alex from the floor, scooting to where he could make his escape. Right now wedged between the wall and the bed.

Meredith went to the end of the bed and hung her head over again blocking his way.

"Don't be a big baby and get back up here, Alex."

Alex slowly got back on the bed, not sure what was going on, at a total loss for words. He got on at the very edge and pulled the sheet up to his chin. He avoided looking at his friend. The way that hair was hanging loose and messy, he didn't need Mr. Happy getting happy again.

Who's the damn girl, thought Meredith.

"Alex, it's been two years. Two long years of me being sad, of me completely focused on Zola, of me doing nothing for...me." Meredith hadn't planned any of this, hadn't really thought of telling Alex any of this. But being in this hotel room with just him was stirring up emotions Meredith thought were buried, buried forever. Seeing him out of the shower, so vulnerable on this trip, it was awakening something in her she thought was dead.

"Meredith. You know how I feel about you, but this is crazy, freaking crazy." Alex wasn't moving and definitely not looking at her.

"Why? I love you. You love me. Why can't we do something? Please, Alex."

Oh my God, thought Alex. Meredith Grey is begging me for sex. I've gotta get my ass out of here. Now.

"Alex, say something. You're making me feel, feel...like a fool." Meredith was trying to get Alex to look at her, but he kept his eyes on the ceiling, sheet pulled up to his chin, not moving.

"Mer, you're no fool. You're a hot chick. A hot mom," Alex began turning his head slowly to make eye contact with his best friend. "But you've never had any, well, any interest in me like that. Ever. I mean you've done it with a lot of guys, but never wanted to with me."

"I want to now. And it hasn't been that many. And like you're one to judge me. I feel like you're judging me!"

"You even did it with O'Malley. Freaking George! But never one hint that you wanted to with me. What gives? Why now?"

"You know what? Forget it! Forget I said anything! Forget all of this!" Meredith rolled over feeling a wetness on her face trying to will the tears away. He cannot see me crying, please tears, go away.

"Mer, don't cry. Don't freaking cry, please." Alex rolled closer to his friend pulling on her shoulder, trying to turn her to him. She wouldn't budge. He rubbed her shoulder feeling the up and down motion of her crying.

"Meredith, I just don't want you regretting this later. I feel like you're gonna think it was a huge mistake and then think I'm a huge damn mistake." Alex could feel her cries lessening. "You and Zo are about all I have. You're the best things in my pathetic, freakin' life. I can't lose you! Not to this."

Meredith rolled over, eyes already red and puffy, nose stuffed. "You're so stupid, Alex. You are the best thing in our lives. Zola and I love you. How could someone my daughter loves so much be a mistake?" Meredith felt a new round of tears forming.

Alex thought that may have been the nicest thing anyone had ever said about him. Ever. He could feel his own eyes filling with a little extra wetness. Damn you, Grey, he thought. He had no idea what to say, so instead of talking he did the next best thing.