The Polyjuice Potion

|ALEXANDRIA WEASLEY'S P.O.V|

There had been two more attacks. Upon leaving the library, Harry had stumbled upon not only a petrified Justin but also Nearly Headless Nick. Nerves were beginning to grow as people wondered what could possibly hurt someone that was already dead. Almost everyone decided to leave for Christmas, wanting to put as much distance between themselves and Hogwarts as possible.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron had said to Harry, Ron, Hermione and I. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be."

Crabbe and Goyle, always having to follow Malfoy's example, had signed up to stay for the holidays as well. Harry wasn't enjoying himself; what with everyone in the castle assuming that he is evil, and running from him in the corridors as though he was a great spook.

Fred and George, however, found this to be very funny. They would march in front of Harry, shouting, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through. . . ."

Percy, as per usual, was disapproving of the behavior. "It is not a laughing matter," he had scolded sternly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," said Fred, a grin on his face larger than life. He certainly was having a grand time. "Harry's in a hurry."

"Yeah," said George, just as happy as his brother, "he's off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with his fanged servant."

Ginny didn't find it amusing either.

"Oh, don't," she wailed whenever Fred asked who Harry was planning to attack next, or when George pretended to hold a clove of garlic up to Harry.

One afternoon, when Fred and George were being extra dramatic, Harry pointed out Draco Malfoy. The blonde Slytherin was watching, an odd and sour expression on his face.

"It's because he's bursting to say it's really him," said Ron as I continued to watch Malfoy. The look in his eyes didn't seem jealous. "You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything, and you're getting all the credit for his dirty work."

"Not for long," said Hermione in a satisfied tone. "The Polyjuice Potion's nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now."

—————

The term finally ended, and a silence fell over the castle as everyone boarded the train home for the holidays. Harry, Hermione, my siblings, and I were the only students left in Gryffindor Tower. Fred, George, and Ginny had stayed because they didn't want to travel to Egypt with our parents. Percy, on the other hand, was very clear that he didn't stay for us and rather the teachers who needed support from the Prefects during this difficult time.

Christmas morning arrived, cold and white. I joined Hermione in entering Harry and Ron's dormitory before the sun could shine through their window, our arms full with presents. My small cat, Amara, was nipping at our heels as we walked — happy to be allowed to roam free now that no one else was in the common room.

"Wake up," Hermione had exclaimed loudly, dumping her presents on the floor. Neither of the boys moved, and so she went toward the window with a pep in her step.

"You two aren't supposed — to be in here," said Ron through a yawn, shielding his eyes.

"Merry Christmas to you, too," said Hermione with a large grin. She threw his present at him, which he blinked at and let hit him square in the face. "Alex and I have been up for nearly an hour, adding more lacewings to the potion. It's ready."

Harry, who had been lounging on his bed with a pillow over his nose, finally sat up straight. He glanced between Hermione and I, seemingly very awake.