Cat, Rat, and Dog

|ALEXANDRIA WEASLEY'S P.O.V|

The final rays of the setting sun were dripping down the horizon, cutting through the depths of navy and purple. Stars had begun to shine through: little dots of sparkling white, tiny and out of reach.

The air was clear and crisp. Beneath my feet, the dew on the tops of the grass was tickling my ankles. I could feel it sinking into my tan tights, chilling my skin.

My chest rose, then fell. Crickets chirped, but my ears rang with bells. Harry's arm was brushing against my back as he reached around me, his hands supporting Hermione's weight. She was wavering, her hold on my hand loosening. Harry was whispering:

"Stop, 'Mione, please. Let me help you, please. We have to move .   .   ."

Behind us, a great distance away, there was a loud howl.

It circled through the air and echoed against the trees, traveling with the wind until it reached were we stood. And, as a morning bell, it snapped me awake.

I blinked quickly, the ringing quieting until it was silenced altogether. I swallowed heavily, once then twice, feeling the thudding of my heart in my chest: pound, pound, pounding. My lips parted to suck in more air as I turned towards Hermione, clamping my hand tighter around hers. My eyes met Harry's, whose were bright amongst the increasing darkness surrounding us.

He appeared frightened. Saddened. Worried.

"Hermione," I returned my attention to her, just as she tried to collapse onto the ground — her knees failing her. "Let's go, love. Come on, let's go."

The cloak was starting to slip off the four of us now as Harry and I brought her to her feet once again. "Ron," I had called out in a whisper, trying to glance over my shoulder at him. All I caught was a glimpse of his red hair. "Ron, you have to help us. We have to go."

"We have to help Hagrid," said Harry to me, carefully. He knew I was the only one listening.

"Harry, we can't," I said, my head tilting in remorse. He pressed his lips together, his cheek indenting as he sunk his teeth into it. "I'm sorry, but we can't." I removed one of my hands from around Hermione's forearm and reached out, touching his bicep delicately. "Please stay with me. Please help me."

Harry swallowed, the bulge in his throat dropping. "Of course, Ria." He tore his eyes away from mine now, looking down at Hermione. She was still staring ahead of us in shock. "Come on."

"How — could — they?" choked out Hermione, her breathing shallow and uneven. She was beginning to stand on her own now and Harry had a tight grip on her, so I turned to Ron. He was watching us. "How could they?"

"I dunno," I heard Harry tell her, quietly. "I dunno, I'm sorry."

Ron scrunched his nose and then firmly said, "Come on."

We set off back for the castle. Our pace was incredibly slow, more so than before. Perhaps it was fatigue or sadness or pain. Or because we had to keep ourselves hidden beneath the cloak. By the time we had reached open ground, the sky was void of colour.

That's when it happened.

"Scabbers, keep still," hissed out Ron. He smacked his hand against his chest with a loud clap. The rat was writhing madly in his shirt pocket, pressing against the fabric. Ron came to a halt again. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"