Chapter 5

"We haven't chatted in so long, tell me about you, Lore, I miss spending time with you." Nora said as they walked along the stream, they had taken the horses for a small gallop and when they were farther away and watering the horse Nora had decided it was the perfect opportunity to ask Lorena if she had any possible suitors for her future, Lorena also had a feeling that she wanted to inquire more about Aaron Ryder and if they had had any more connections with him after the dance. It had only been a month or so since the special night that Aaron and Lorena met, and she felt as if somehow it never happened, and she just dreamed the whole thing up. 

"I guess nothing really has changed with me, you know." Said Lorena, the clouds rolling through the blue skies, the fields on the hills across the stream, greener then ever before.

"Is the reason you've been, spending time in the kitchen and with the help, do you feel incomplete with your life?" Nora asked her, did she feel incomplete? Did she try to find some other purpose for her life by trying to fill it with meaningful tasks?

"I just enjoy their company, and it's quite satisfactory to be able to do things." Lorena said truthfully, Nora said nothing for quite some time and they walked along farther into the meadow, away from the house.

"I guess I can what you mean by that." She said after their long period of silence. "Don't you wish to do all of the things, that maybe perhaps the kitchen maid wishes to do? Like having the freedom of an afternoon that you can just sit and read, or just go on long walks without having to hurry back to help prepare the meals?"

"I've had that life, and the freedom of that all my life, and I've only been doing this for a month now," Lorena said, smiling, "maybe some day I will tire of it, but as of right now, I am enjoying myself greatly, and Mary and I get along splendidly, can I tell you something Nora?" She asked, looking into her sisters eyes, the same eyes as their mother but with less wrinkles in the corners. Mother wasn't quite that old, but she had smile lines, and lines from frowning. Her face wasn't a perfectly clear and spotless canvas, like Nora's.

"You can tell me anything you know."

"Some day I wish to live by myself, or not, I haven't decided that yet," laughing, how long it had been since they've laughed together, "and I don't want any maids or cooks, but just a small place where I can have a garden and I can cook whenever I please, and have a pretty flower bed with trees." She sighed wistfully and looked at her sister, who had her eyes crinkled in amusement.

"What do you find so funny?" Lorena questioned.

"You know Mary," Nora started, most likely not even knowing her name until Lorena had told her, "well, I'm sure that she grew up with all of those things, that is what her mother has, or had, and her grandmother, and so on, since it's been possible of course,"

"I don't see what your point is."

Well, I guess I don't have one, just that, we live a wonderful life, a life that many wish that they could have, and all you want is something that is easily attained." Nora looked to the west where the sun was, the time had gotten away but they still had plenty of time. 

Lorena estimated it was most likely around three or four in the afternoon, Nora would probably want to head back sometime soon, but Lorena decided that she'd just wander by herself for some time, she had brought a book along so maybe she would read for a short while. 

They rode along in silence for a small time, Nora seemed to be out of questions for her.

Lorena wondered who the company for dinner would be, she thought that maybe there was a very small chance that it would be Aaron, but if it was an old friend of her father's that would be near impossible, hence the fact that Mr. Ryder had lived in Canada his whole life, and Lorena had heard nothing of her father ever visiting Canada or the states for any reason at all. He preferred to travel to different countries that were nearer to them, not having to cross an ocean to have a meeting.