Chapter 6

Suddenly the breeze in the room ceased and it became stifling hot, no one else seemed affected by it, but Lorena had trouble getting enough breath. She looked at Nora who was just smiling at her encouragingly, did she know that this was Aaron Ryder? Did she know that he was going to be here tonight? At their house, for dinner. 

Mr. Ryder and her father were having a pleasant conversation and Aaron was just staring at her on awe, Nora looked at him, and then at Lorena who just sat there looking at her hands that were white knuckled, appearing as a trapped animal. It was quite amusing how frightened she looked, but Nora didn't make fun. "How has your stay been, here in Andover?" Nora asked him, he still looked shocked but he tore his gaze off of her sister and looked her in the eyes.

"it's been quite enjoyable, I've never seen this much country, even in Canada we stayed in town all of the time." While he was speaking Lorena had looked up and Nora who gave her a smile that said to talk to him, but it seemed that she wasn't all too good with talking to men, Nora sighed through her nose and tried to make conversation,

When dinner time had rolled around Lorena wasn't any better at talking or looked normal then before. 

"I've never been to Canada before," Nora stated when they were seated around the dinner table and Mary was putting the salad course in front of Mr. Ryder, "is it as beautiful as all of the stories say it is?" She asked, looking at him and leaning forward in her seat.

"Well, like I said before, I haven't been too far away from the town, I did spend a few months in my uncle's country home but I guess that isn't in the country, it is in a less populated area then my homes in." He smiled.

Maybe Lorena should take a few notes from Nora and try to be more outgoing and a more organic conversationalist. But she didn't have anything too intelligent or interesting to ask or say.

"You've lived here all of your life I've heard?" Aaron said, looking at Nora with a glance in Lorena's direction, she vaguely remembered saying something to him about how she had never moved in all of her existence.

"No, this house was my great grandmother's and my father inherited it when she passed away, when my parents married they moved here, and you could say my father has a sentimental attachment to the house." She giggled girlishly. "Lore and I were horseback riding a little but before you and your father arrived, maybe someday you should come and Lore could show you around the grounds, she has always had a knack for the outdoors." She smiled encouragingly once more at Lorena who just smiled lightly and looked at Aaron before blushing and looking down.

Aaron seemed amused by her sheepish demeanor, maybe she hadn't acted like this when they had had such a long conversation at the Jefferson's.

Nora had always had nice conversations with her, but maybe that was because she was her sister, and they had grown up together. She had never seen her have a conversation with any boy, or man, besides the neighbors, when she was young she would frolic with them before her mother said that ladies never spend too much time messing around.

"How long have you had horses?" Aaron asked Lorena, looking directly at her.

"Oh as long as I can remember I'm sure." She said, silence fell over the three, their parents in conversation about something or other.

"Do you have any more things you enjoy to do other then horseback ride?" He asked, most likely trying to make conversation with her.

"Well, I enjoy reading, and gardening. I play a bit of the piano but Nora is much better, I like to cook but i never get the chance." She smiled, maybe she was finally coming out of her shell Aaron though.