Chapter 10

When they had come back to the Pills house, they weren't so uncomfortable anymore, and Lorena had fallen out of a tree. Not that Aaron would ever say that, and he was ashamed to admit that he had laughed when she sat up, all red in the face before he climbed down a few branches to help her.

There was Aaron's father's carriage in the front, so Lorena assumed that they should probably be in as quick as possible, but this time she took the time to brush down Abraham and give him oats. When they came in the house there was chatter in the parlor, friendly talking. So Lorena checked in the mirror and straightened her hair out, she noticed Aaron watching in the reflection and she blushed, her heart in her throat.

She walked to the door, waiting for Aaron to catch up, his hair was wind ruffled and his blue eyes shining. He looked absolutely stunning, but Lorena wasn't in place to say so, before she opened the door, the back of his hand brushed hers again.

She looked up at him and he was smiling, grinning at her. She opened the door and came in, her face red from Aaron touching her hand which made her blush and her hair was a mess and she was sure that there was a tear at her hem. 

ut when she saw that that weird man from the other afternoon was here, her eyebrows furrowed, but she just put on a smile for show.

She sat down on the sofa next to Nora, although she felt exposed in the middle of the seating area, she should've chosen the chair off the to corner.

"Good afternoon, Aaron." Her mother greeted him excitedly, "Did you enjoy seeing all the grounds?" She asked him, as he took a seat next to Charles Laver.

"Oh yes, it was quite nice, and your daughter here is an excellent guide." He said, sending a nonchalant smile her way.

"Well I'm glad to hear that, I do hope she didn't have you racing through the woods, which she's been known to do." Susan said, laughing.

Aaron laughed and shook his head, "Heavens no, I wouldn't ever guess Miss Lorena to be the racing type. Quiet as a mouse she is." Lying to her mother, of all things. 

Susan laughed and turned and tuned into Howard's and Mr. Ryder's conversation. Lorena looked over at Sir Charles, there was a familiarity between Aaron and him, but he also was too tall for the chair that he was sitting in, his knees were crowded in to too close to him, he looked like a giant. He also sat in the shortest chair in the room, Aaron even was sitting in a taller chair, but there was a humorous look to him and Lorena had trouble to keep from laughing. And then she noticed that she was staring at him, with her mouth quirked, so she looked away. 

"Dinner is nearly done I suppose," Nora said to her, she seemed exhausted, she had probably been making arrangements all day long, and Lorena knew how tiring that could turn out to be.

"It should be, shouldn't it?" Lorena said, "Did you have a nice afternoon?" She asked her sister, they were speaking in hushed tones, not that they didn't want to be overhead, but Lorena didn't want anyone else to join their conversation.

"Oh yes, thank you for asking, it looks as if you enjoyed yourself greatly." Nora said, giving her a sly look, Lorena blushed. "You have a tear on your hem, and I noticed that there was a leaf in your hair." at Lorena scolding her, Lorena just laughed.

"I'm glad to have you to tell me when my appearance isn't up to snuff."

"What were you doing?" She asked, shaking her head as if she couldn't even begin to wonder.

"We were climbing trees." She said, truthfully, but Nora gave her look telling her she had better tell the truth sometime. If only she knew.

Susan stood up when the clock chimed, "I think that it's time for dinner now," seven, thirty. On the dot.

They all went to the dining room, Lorena taking her usual seat, Nora across from her, Sir Charles next to Nora, and Aaron next to her. Unusual seating arrangements. 

When grace was said and Mary had served the food, a job normally for a man, but seeing as they didn't want to take on very many staff members and Mary knew what her job entailed it wasn't at all that odd.

The parents were engrossed in their conversation, and it seemed that Mr. Ryder was becoming more agitated, as well as Mr. Pills.

"You know that it's not safe," Mr. Ryder commented looking straight at Howard's face, Susan felt that maybe she should try to calm them down before the children noticed.

"What you are implying is not an acceptable situation, I'm sure you know. And I do not think that it is necessary." Howard said, Susan gave him a subtle look, and he caught her eye nodding.

"But if the safety of them is in danger it's a most acceptable situation, and it doesn't have to be known." He said, shaking his head. Howard pondered for a moment, and Susan stepped in.

"I think that Howard and I will talk about it, when there is less people around." A glance over at Lorena who was now looking at them, as well as Charles Laver, "And we'll give you our answer before the week is out." Susan smoothed her napkin on her lap, "I understand the situation we're all in, and I also want what is best, for everyone, and we'll work out an arrangement, consulting you of course." It seemed to sit with him well, he was a well tempered man, and he only would get worked up over something that he was passionate about, and maybe the life of his only son was something he was passionate about, not that he particularly showed it. But Susan knew. 

"I suppose that we can work with that." Gary sighed and nodded at Howard. 

~

"What do you suppose they were talking about at dinner tonight?" Nora asked, they were once more in Lorena's room, and she had badgered Lorena endlessly about what her and Aaron had spent the afternoon doing, and she had told her the truth, several times before Nora actually believed her.

"Well I can never be sure, I'm terrible at reading between the lines." Lorena said, she was sitting at the head of her bed, Nora leaning against a post at the foot.

"So am I, which means that we'll never find out." Nora laughed. "But let's bring the conversation back to the wink that Aaron gave you, right before he walked out the door?" Nora said, her voice accusing.

Lorena feigned disinterest, "I have no idea what you are talking about." She looked to the picture she had hanging on the wall, a green and blue vase with yellow and purple flowers, lavender and goldenrod maybe?

"Yes, it seems that way doesn't it." 

Nora laughed, "But the time is late, and I have to make more arrangements for Sir Fredrick's visit, only six more days you know." She grinned.

"Are you thrilled to be spending time with the infamous Fredrick?" Lorena asked, truly curious, it seemed that when Nora had written the letter, she did so only because it was expected of her, but now, that he was going to spend a whole month in her town, with her. She seemed to be overly excited.

"Yes, I am. I haven't seen him in quite a while so I'm afraid maybe, I remember him differently, or maybe he remembers me differently, and we're both in for a surprise." She sighed but shook her head, "But I'm sure that it will all turn out to be fine." She grinned, "Now, I have to go to bed, or else I will not be able to function properly." She laughed and whisked off to her own bedroom.

Alone, Lorena had time to think of Aaron, his smile, the way the corners of his eyes crinkled when he smiled. When he had brushed the back of her hand with his, when he had her play piano for him, how he had asked her questions all day long. She should have asked him more questions, she thought. But really, all she cared for was that she had spent nearly a whole day with Aaron, and just talked to him, without anyone listening, and he didn't think her a terrible person that she climbed trees.