Prologue

“My lord, why have you summoned me?” Phocas asked, nervously.

The Lord Legion smiled at him. “They have the book now, my servant, and Chrysanthemum Bone will be able to read it. They have the Outsiders and Backsliders with them now. They are stronger by far. And far easier to snare.”

Phocas frowned. “My lord?”

Lord Legion laughed. “While their forces grow, so do mine. They know what they are looking for now. They are clever. Yet I, being who I am, know more than they. I learnt things, in the Beyond. There is wisdom there that cannot be lost. All wisdom.”

“I do not understand,” Phocas frowned. “You mean…you know what they are looking for?”

“Oh, yes,” Lord Legion smiled. “Of course. There is only one possible option, now they have the book. Such good, worthy…deluded…people as they are will only want one outcome of this. They will seek to lock the Doors.”

“Is that even possible, my lord?” Phocas stared. “I thought they were…always ready….or something…”

“Popular myth and facts often bear little resemblance, my servant. They will be out there, looking for the key. But I’m one step ahead. I don’t know where it is. But I do know what it is.”

Phocas looked shocked, but he didn’t dare question.

“My lord…what are my orders?”

Lord Legion smiled. “Ready my spies. Send them out. Bribe, interrogate, threaten, blackmail, until you find it.”

“Find…find what, my lord?” Phocas trembled.

Lord Legion turned away, so that his face was in shadow.

“Why, the Scroll of Eurian, of course. What else would they be looking for? Hmm?”

Phocas gaped. “But…the Scroll…”

“The Scroll will tell me where to find it, Phocas. Find me the Scroll!”

“Y-yes, my lord!” Phocas gabbled. “Of course, my lord!”

“Find it before they do. Or I will hold you accountable.”

“Yes, my lord. Uh…they, my lord?”

Lord Legion’s faint smile turned grim. “The Princess’s little gang. She’s got herself a private army now. And she’s getting stronger every day. If she gets the Scroll first…”

Phocas nodded, frantically. “Of course, my lord! Yes, my lord!”

“Go!”

Phocas scurried from the room, shaking like a leaf. He was a strong man, ruthless and dangerous, but he trembled before his master.

“Oh, yes,” Lord Legion smiled to himself. “Yes, yes, yes. Little Sophie has found herself some friends. This is going to get interesting.”

He walked across the room towards a desk in the corner, and picked up a piece of paper covered in writing in his own spidery hand. He smiled.

“You’ll never get there first, little girl. You’ll never win.”

He dropped the paper and turned towards the narrow window.

“Keep looking, princess, while I find the Eachanstone.”