Chapter Five - An Awkward Reunion, and the Manner of Time Loops

Adele Bouquet was not at all what Sophie had been expecting. The girl was small and dainty, with big, dark eyes, fluttering lashes and chocolate-brown ringlets. If Sophie had had to guess what a girlfriend of Blue’s would look like, this would not be it.

  But there was something else in her eyes, a slight daredevil gleam and a spark of toughness and survival that persuaded Sophie this was the right girl. Besides which, Blue went purple when he saw her and his walk slowed almost to a standstill.

“Um…hey, Adele…” he mumbled.

Adele put her hands on her hips. “You know, a lot of people would wonder how you had the audacity to come here asking me for help. But, frankly, it isn’t a surprise.”

“Sorry,” Blue managed, barely audible.

Adele looked at Sophie. “If you’re considering him for a boyfriend, it really isn’t worth it.”

“Don’t worry,” Sophie said, hastily. “I wasn’t.”

Adele rolled her eyes. “So, Mr Bluebird Last. What is it you want from me?”

Blue glanced around. “Adele…you know who this is?”

Adele looked Celia up and down. “Celia Karn. Duh. Your crush.”

“Wait, what?” Sophie looked between Blue and Celia. “You’re kidding?”

Blue’s cheeks blazed crimson. “I…uh…no! Adele’s just teasing.”

Adele laughed. “Keep telling them that, Bluebird. He’s had a crush on Celia since forever.”

“Forget that,” Blue snapped. “I’m not talking about Celia. I’m talking about her.”

Adele looked at Sophie thoughtfully. “Yes, I was wondering. Sophie Merith, isn’t it? I’d say it was nice to meet you, but I’m not so sure yet.”

Sophie nodded. “Same goes to you, I guess.”

Adele smiled thinly. “I take it what you want concerns Necromancy? That really isn’t my area of expertise.”

Sophie shook her head. “Not Necromancy. Time travel.”

Adele held her gaze for a long time. “There is no such thing as time travel. It is impossible.”

“Yes,” Sophie said, calmly. “And we would like information on it.”

Adele nodded. “For what reward?”

“The survival of the world,” Sophie offered.

Adele laughed shortly. “Yeah. That’ll be good enough. But I want a solemn promise.”

Sophie raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”

“I will tell you everything you ask but, if anyone finds out, this conversation never happened. Alright?”

“Understood.”

Adele smiled. “So…what do you want to know?”

The café was quiet, the weather had decided that it was summer after all, and the fruit smoothies tasted of fruit. Sophie decided that there could hardly be a nicer spot. If it hadn’t been for the feeling of impending doom, she might have been quiet cheerful about it all.

“Time loops,” Adele said, slowly. “Well…that only works if you are prepared to suspend disbelief and, most importantly, logic for a little while.”

“Obviously,” Celia said, leaning forward eagerly.

Sophie sulked but nodded.

Adele ran a hand through her hair. “Alright. Well, time travel is highly paradoxical. It is impossible for all outcomes of time travel to apply in one universe. Got that?”