Chapter Two - A Secret A Few Thousand Years Old

At first, Sophie couldn’t see anything particularly vampire-like about the guest at the door. He was tall and dark-haired, certainly, but he lacked the old-time elegance and decorum that she expected. He looked, quite frankly, shabby.

“Your highness,” he said, with obvious mistrust. “You do me great honour.”

Now she could understand. His voice sounded like the closing of coffin lids and dancing skeletons.

“I…who are you?” Sophie demanded.

“Forgive me,” the vampire bowed. “I am Bote.”

“Bote?” Sophie frowned. “Isn’t that German for something?”

Bote’s eyes brightened. “You have studied German?”

Sophie shook her head. “Tried it for a term and used up too many cough sweets. Bote…bote…bote…isn’t that, like, a messenger?”

Bote nodded. “I am Messenger. I am the deliverer of news, between our world and yours. I come to talk to you, Night Princess, and I bear tidings from our king.”

“Oh no,” Sophie backed away. “No more kings, no more rulers, no more. Nope. Nothing doing. No.”

Bote frowned. “Your highness, you are not commanded. But you are advised to hear what we have to say.”

Sophie bit the inside of her cheek. “Fine, fine. What do you have to say?”

Bote’s eyes flashed with anger. “Our king is Reynold. He requests a meeting with you, your highness. Tomorrow, at noon.”

Sophie’s heart fluttered. “Why? Why does he want to see me?”

“I can only guess,” Bote smiled, coldly. “But I must believe it has something to do with your search for the Scroll of Eurian. Yes, I know about that. We know everyone. We know everything.”

“Thanks for creeping me out completely,” Sophie said, very quietly. “Alright, but I won’t be coming alone.”

Bote raised an eyebrow. “You defy our king?”

“I am the Night Princess. Nobody commands me.”

That wasn’t strictly true, but it sounded good enough and it is always advisable to leave strangers a little bit in awe of you. That had been Chrysanthemum’s first lesson. If you haven’t got respect, you haven’t got anything.

“Very well,” Bote gave a shallow bow. “You may bring one companion. Tomorrow, at noon.”

“Where?”

Bote held out a piece of paper, wordlessly. Sophie took it.

“Thanks,” she said, absently, reading the directions. “This could be…”

She looked up and Bote was nowhere to be seen.

“Disappearing vampires,” she muttered. “Didn’t I know this wasn’t going to be a good idea? I should never come to parties.”

She turned and walked back through the party, thoughtfully.

“Hey, Celia,” Sophie tapped her friend on the shoulder, not caring about the annoyed looks she was given by her and Merry. “How are you for vampire kings tomorrow at noon?”

Celia sighed. “Timing, Sophie, timing. But sure. Vampire kings? Sounds like a laugh.”

The home of the Vampire King was a street with burnt-out cars and overgrown gardens. Paint peeled off doors, tiles fell from roofs.

“This is where the king of the vampires lives?” Sophie looked around in disgust. “I was expecting something more stylish.”

Celia nodded in agreement. “Not the real king of the vampires, though.”