Chapter Twenty-Three - Revenge

Celia felt it, when her magic vanished. It was like having a limb disappear. She felt unbalanced, vulnerable, and slightly in pain.

“Oh my god,” she whispered. “How is that possible?”

Merry stared at her, stunned. “She’s…”

They both stared at Chrysanthemum’s unconscious form.

“Do you think she’s taken out the whole castle?” Celia asked.

“I wouldn’t have thought it possible,” Merry murmured. “I mean, it isn’t possible. But…”

Celia took a deep breath. “She’s given us a shot. We need to get in and out before she has to let it go.”

“But how can she hold that much power?” Merry demanded. “It should kill her!”

“Yes,” Celia smiled faintly. “But, after all, she is Chrysanthemum Bone.”

Susannah Burn felt it when her magic vanished. She stumbled and fell forward, catching Cognito’s arm as she went.

“Easy,” he hauled her to her feet. “What was that?”

“No magic,” Larry gaped. “Just us?”

“Or maybe not,” Susannah said, thoughtfully. “I mean…maybe…”

The five of them stared at one another.

“You don’t suppose…”

“Is it possible that…”

“Chrysanthemum.”

Lord Legion felt it when his magic vanished. He froze on his throne, hands moving slowly as he felt his power ebbing away.

“How dare you?” he hissed, to an empty room. “How dare you?”

He rose from his throne, his steps for a moment uneven.

“Against me?” he growled. “You would work against me?”

He reached the door and opened it, seeing a tide of panicking Necromancers surging along the corridors, not knowing how to react to their sudden loss of power.

“How dare you take my power, Chrysanthemum? How dare you?”

It was with ease now that Celia marched through the corridors of the palace. Sensing the weakness of their allies, all magical beings Legion had brought to his side temporarily abandoned. Magicians ran from her expression and fell from her gun.