CHAPTER 4 - HASPEN (Part Three)

Haspen wasn't much. Six wooden hovels around a stone well made up the entire village.

'What a miserable place,' Ghyll said with a sigh.

Olle growled, his face reflecting his disdain for bad liege lords. 'I don't know whose property this is, but your uncle cared a lot better for his people.'

At the entrance to the village, a soldier in the uniform of the Guard in Gromarthen jumped to attention when Ghyll and Olle approached. 'Pardon, my lord, but can I ask you something?'

Ghyll reined in his horse. 'Of course, Corporal. What is the problem?'

'I saw your lordship at the castle, yesterday, my lord. Lieutenant Davall has informed you of the problems we've 'ad 'ere?'

Ghyll nodded, 'Yes, you have something new to report?'

'Ah'm not sure, m'lord, and I wouldn't want to bother the lieutenant for nothing, you see.'

Ghyll understood. The man was afraid to commit a blunder with his officer, and now saw an opportunity to shift the responsibility. 'What's it about?'

The corporal looked ashamed. 'Well, you see, m'lord, there's someone we think knows something about them makemen, but we can't get 'im to talk. He's, uh... not well in the 'ead, you know. The local idiot, so to speak.' Over his shoulder, he shouted to his mate across the road. 'Hey, bring the fool over 'ere, my lord baron wants to see 'im.' He turned back to Ghyll. 'I feel like he's hiding something, my lord. But he won't say.'

It was not long before the second Guard came back escorting a dirty man in rags, with unkempt hair and a limp, silly face.

'Hey, Sjammie, the noble lord wants to know what you found. Tell me, before he gets angry,' the Corporal ordered.

Sjammie cringed and winced. 'No, no, Sjammie has nothing. Found nothing, nothing. Lord not be angry, Sjammie is stupid.'

'Don't lie, tell us the truth!'

Sjammie looked stubborn. 'Nothing. Nothing found, nothing seen. All dead.' The fool laughed shrilly.

Before the corporal could speak again, Ghyll interfered. 'You're Sjammie? Then perhaps you can help me. I am looking for the bad men who fought with the soldiers.'

Sjammie pulled his head between his shoulders in a defensive gesture. 'All dead, Sjammie know nothing.' He glared at the two Guards. 'Soldiers! Bad men come; soldiers run away.'

'Hey, what did you say?' the second Guard said loudly, but Ghyll motioned him to keep silent. 'Sjammie, the soldiers have killed the bad men. You know that.'

The fool shook his head. 'Sjammie know better.' He laughed aloud. 'Sjammie will show. Come, lord.'

'Let him go,' Ghyll said to the soldier, as he dismounted. 'I'll follow, Sjammie. Show me what you've got.'

Faster than they expected, the fool ran off. 'Come,' he shouted. 'Come on, lord.' Ghyll followed him, with Olle and the corporal on his heels.

The fool led them to an old barn at the back of the nearest meadow and disappeared around the building. 'Door is broken,' Ghyll heard him call, followed by the fool's laugh. 'Wall is broken, also, is now door.' Indeed in the back of the barn, a few planks were loose, just above the ground. Sjammie could crawl through, but Ghyll realized his leather armor would not let him follow. He puffed a moment, flushed from the exertion. 'I can't get in, Sjammie,' he said. 'I have to use the door.'

'Door is broken,' the fool cried again. 'All broken!'

Ghyll turned to the corporal. 'Force the door.'