CHAPTER 8 - THERIDAUN

The next morning the Companions said farewell to Dinamir for the final stretch to Theridaun. Around ten o'clock they reached Lister, a small town on a bend in the river. A broad quay indicated where the townspeople moored their fishing boats at night and a watchtower looked out over the area. The local fish auction was doing well, thought Ghyll - the stench of rotting fish that hung over everything was of a breathtaking ripeness.

'Good Gods,' he sighed. 'Do they throw all of the offal back into the river?'

'Why not?' Olle said with indifference. 'What else would they do with it?' He shrugged. 'There is a tavern. I don't care about the rest.'

When they had fed and refreshed themselves and the horses, they continued their journey. The road took them north and for the first time, Ghyll left the familiar sight of the Yanthe River behind. He set them a good speed. Theridaun was about twenty-five miles inland and he wanted to reach it before sunset.

This part of the road was broad and well kept, so they broke into a trot. Ghyll enjoyed the speed and the surroundings. The countryside on the border with Leudra was hilly and covered with vineyards.

They produced some good wines here, he knew, both the dry white theridauner and the fruity red, the one they called Kongsarte, or 'the King's Mettle'. Uncle Jadron used to have a collection of both wines laid up in his cellar. The memory dragged Ghyll back to all those nights in the study, his uncle, Olle and he, while Jadron told of his experiences as a soldier and courtier. Ghyll's pleasant mood wavered and the vineyards lost some of their luster.

At sundown, they reached the outskirts of Theridaun. In the distance they saw the Count's castle rising over all, the walls and towers painted bronze by the setting sun, untouchable as a symbol of royal power.

Ghyll reined in his horse. 'I'm sorry, people,' he said. 'I want to change clothes. I refuse to appear as a beggar at Count Mynos' court.'

'Get your things out. I'll help you,' Olle said calmly.

'Good idea,' Bo said with a critical eye to his own robe. 'Then I'll replace this old thing for something better.'

'Something even better?' Olle looked at him with raised eyebrows. 'You're already the belle of the ball.'

Bo colored. 'Wait until you come to the court,' he retorted. 'That will show you what a well-dressed man is wearing. You... you peasants!'

The others looked at each other and roared with laughter.

Theridaun was the first open town Ghyll had seen. The local council had ordered the walls torn down; with more than half of the buildings outside their protection, they had outlived their usefulness.

Though dusk had fallen, the streets were still busy and the horses could only proceed at a walk. Ghyll did his best not to appear a country oaf and gape at the rich houses and the many statues everywhere. He kept his eyes on the road, but in his heart, he was impressed by the wealth the city rubbed under everyone's noses.

'Wine and grain make for impressive riches,' Olle said with the air of a farmer who distrusts all merchants. 'But they're still robbers.'

'Indeed they are. How many nobles would they have in their pockets?' Bo added, with a disdainful look around. 'The Bank of Rhidauna won't lend to just anybody, titled or not. Many of these sharks do, at high interest rates and with great estates as collateral. When the noble can't cough up any more, the merchant impounds all his lands.'