CHAPTER 14 - THE GISTERWOUD (Part Three)

It took three days before Bo, Ghyll and Uwella were back on their feet. Three nights, during which Olle and Lieiya got to know each other better. Deep in his heart, Olle felt something gnawing. For him and Lieiya it was only an adventure, and when they parted, it would be over. Kaati would understand; she was a bard, after all. In his mind, he saw her face. Her eyes looked at him. 'You're like your father,' they seemed to say. With haste, he put that thought away.

Uwella had a concussion; something the wikken knew how to repair. 'Physically, it's no problem,' Rhydd had said. 'Our healing priests and mentalists are at least as good as those of the other temples. Within a few days, she'll be all right. I only hope that the Valvodjara's confidence hasn't suffered. No healer can predict that.'

About Ghyll's self-assurance, no one dared to speak, he himself least of all. They had put his nose into place with bandages. His face was swollen and black from all the blows, his voice hoarse from screaming. Every part of him hurt, but he was clearheaded and responsive.

Bo was the first to be back on his feet. Sleep and some mana transfusions had replenished his reserves. He said he felt stronger than ever.

Even their horses were back. A scout found them in a grassy clearing not far from the kerran, in better condition than they'd ever been.

On the third day, the healers declared the three recovered enough to resume their journey. In spite of that, Ghyll's leg continued to trouble him. The stab wound in his side seemed healed, but at the least effort, a pain radiated down to his foot. There was something wrong there. The healing masters in Rhidaun-Lorn had told him that the pain wouldn't wholly disappear. Only, these awful cramps were more than just pain, and his leg remained stiff, so that he couldn't walk without limping. The wikken didn't know why. 'Go back the mother temple of Kathauna in Rhidaun-Lorn,' they said. 'They have the best healers.' Fine, he thought, but they were hundreds of miles away from the capital. For getting out of the forest, the horses were useless, so they'd have to walk before they could ride. He swore under his breath.

After breakfast, all Companions gathered in their cabin. Archodea was there as well, and Rhydd.

'I want to thank you for our rescue,' Ghyll said. 'I wasn't in a condition to notice your arrival, Rhydd. I had already given up. That beastman wanted to kill me.'

Rhydd shrugged. 'I'd be lying if I said it was a pleasure. You endangered the life of my sister the Valvodjara. That I can't forgive.'

'Nonsense.' Uwella's face was all the haughty ducal heiress now. 'I joined them willingly, Rhydd. Through them, I am getting to know the enemy who threatens our country. That duty fell to me, seeing our father has other things on his mind...'

The disgust in her voice made Rhydd wince. 'It's true our father thinks more of his throne than of our country. Well, I must accept your decision, my Valvodjara.' He looked at Olle. 'The death of the beastman was satisfactory.'

The Drynnath sighed and the bones in her hair rustled softly. 'Beastmen are murderous creatures. They were designed as things of the Revenaunt and their only purpose was to terrorize a region or a city. For a long time we thought that they no longer existed, but we assumed the same of golems and firebirds.'

'And those exist.' Ghyll looked from the high wikke to Rhydd. 'The monsters really exist. They're tools of the Dar'khamorth.'

Archodea made a gesture. 'Our eternal enemy. This DeMannau creature eluded our patrols, so she wasn't seeking a confrontation. What troubles me is that she knew the location of our kerran, and she shouldn't have. It means our defenses have failed. Still, these are my problems; we are gathered here for yours.'