CHAPTER 14 - THE GISTERWOUD (Part One)

The journey back to Athosta went without mishap. Sea and wind cooperated and some thirty-six hours later, they were back in the old port.

'Now we've got to get our young friend dressed,' Ghyll said, when they stood on the quay.

Bo adjusted his cloak and cast Torril a haughty glance. Barefoot, in a too tight tunic from Damion, baggy pants from Olle and the ax from the Polfers tucked in a waistband made of ship's rope, the young Nhael looked quite the pirate.

'Agreed. Before he gets picked up for vagrancy.'

By noon, the boy was presentable, and it was in good cheer that they entered the Temple of Love for the transfer to Rhidaun-Lorn.

With his arms clasped behind his back, Torril studied the exuberant murals in the portal. 'Oh, my. At home it's far too cold for that.'

Olle raised his eyebrows. 'What! For sex?'

'Nah, I mean all that... nakedness.'

Uwella sniffed. 'Barbarians! Even in bed they keep their clothes.'

The duty portal adept, nearing at the end of his watch and visibly tired, apologized. 'The direct connection to the main temple in Rhidaun-Lorn is down. I'm afraid you'll have to change in Din-Werdzom.'

Bo looked at him in surprise. 'How's that possible?'

The young man shrugged. 'Trouble with the mana flow. Several travelers were left stranded mid-way.'

'Is the portal to Din-Werdzom reliable?' Bo looked sharply at the adept, but the other gave a noncommittal shrug.

'As far as I know, yes. We received no reports of discontinuity to or from the Din.'

'Thank you.' Bo made the connection and without fail, they re-appeared in the Central Portal at Din-Werdzom.

Torril took a few deep breaths. 'What's with the air?'

'It's the altitude,' Ghyll said, remembering what the Apprentice Blaide had said.

Bo greeted the portal master, the same one they'd spoken on their first visit. 'I heard that there were disturbances in the mana flow?'

The priest sighed. 'Yes. It's been a ball all day. Luckily a magimech from the temple arrived to investigate the problem.'

He pointed to a skinny priest on his knees at the manatap, the little mechanism that regulated the flow.

The man glanced their way. 'One moment more. The tap made a series of clicking noises. 'Ready.' He came to his feet and walked toward them. 'The problem is solved. The connections were out of kilter, causing power spikes. I've adjusted the tap and now everything is working as intended. I've got to go, there's yet another problem waiting.'

'My thanks for your assistance,' the portal master said.

The man smiled. 'No trouble.' And looking at Bo, 'What is your destination?'

'The capital.'

'Ah yes.' The mech priest's smile widened. 'Beautiful Rhidaun-Lorn, with its many lighttowers. Well, I wish you a pleasant journey. May my god steer your way.'

Bo nodded. 'Thanks.' He made a mental contact with the manatap and activated the connection to its counterpart in the portal at Rhidaun-Lorn. The mana flowed and once more they were caught in the chaotic, unknowable dimensions of the Intermedium.

Bo screamed; a sudden, shrill cry in the oppressive silence. The multi-dimension dissolved and to his astonishment, Olle found himself in the green twilight of an ancient forest.