Chapter Three

Asher's POV

It's third period, aka the next period I share with Hana. Out of the eight classes we are together in three together, leaving me by me myself for a little bit more than half the day. Literally." Miss me?" She teases as we take our seats in the middle. I don't necessarily like the front of the back of classrooms. Most of the teachers aren't afraid of excessive amount of chemicals being sprayed on their boards after writing in them, and my nose can't handle that. Seriously, I tried it the first day of school and had to go to the nurse five minutes into class because of a severe nose bleed. So that knocks out the front of the classroom, leaving me with the back or the middle. The back being where the trouble makers and jocks usually sit, and where all the air conditioners sit. Another nose bleed hazard for me.

"No, not really." Which we both know is a lie. The reason why were separated for two classes, is because how I was in a head start for high school in eighth grade. Unlike most people, I had took Algebra 1 and Integrated Science then leaving me two classes ahead of my grade. Which is good according to some people, but not to me considering I have to be around the seniors instead of my usual Junior class. Both being not so kind to me and my advantages, but the Seniors being worse on me. My hair being filled with spit ball being the evidence." And can you help me get these out? It's hard to tell what mouth bacterial diseases they must have in those mouths."

She snorts back a laugh, making people glance out way and begins to pull out the wet ball of paper." You'd think they'd at least up their game and do something that hasn't been done since Columbus sailed the ocean." I roll my eyes at her word play and stay silent as she gets the rest of them out." There you go. So.... Have you heard the news yet?" No but I bet your going to tell me. I don't say that though. She may be just a nerd but she gets upset and offended, when someone mentions her gossip addiction. I personally blame the E News channel and TigerBeat." We have a new student. And he's one of us. Meaning we'll have a distraction for awhile."

I scowl at her and point a finger." No, that's mean. We're going to give him what no one ever gave to us. A proper welcome and treatment as if he is a normal human being. So we're going to be nice and not leave him in the dust. Okay?"

A smile creeps on her face and she says," I know. I was only messing with you. His name is Xavier by the way. And the cheerleaders have already started giving him trouble." Meaning pretty soon so will the football players, bad boys, and so on. Sometimes I get so tired of this school. With all the bullying and torture but yet the teachers never pay attention until the news reports say someone's killed themselves. Then they become one of God's helpers and try to make the world a better place, which only lasts until the shock has died down and no one really cares no more." So....." She drags on and I nearly groan out. Here it comes.

"The time has come. Forever now you've been saying you'd only date someone if you're own kind, and here he is. A nerd." She looks at my expectedly and I begin to wonder why she doesn't want him. It's weird for Hana not to call dibs on anyone breathing guy that's mentioned to us. Hell she even tried to drown me in third grade because I said I like The Jonas Brothers more than her. I've never really gave up a fight for a guy from her since then.

"No. I'm not going to date anyone. Hopefully ever. They cause way to big of a distraction in your personal life, school included, and over all just ruin your life. Look at Angela for instance." Angela used to be mine and Hana's friend. As one of the nerds. Then one day that cliche story happened and she fell for the bad boy. And let me tell you that stuff doesn't happen like it does in the books. He changed her, for worse. She died her red hair blonde,became a cheerleader, and lost all her scholarships. She was a very smart girl, even smarter than me at the time, but over time she stopped doing her homework and when she did do it ,it wasn't even readable from the pot she had clearly smoked before writing it. So now she's one of the barbies who run around and cheat on their boyfriends, all while fighting each other for the spotlight. We don't really like to talk about it.

"You have a point...." She says her eyes filling with sadness as she looks at me." But not all of them are like that you know? We'll find our princes one day."

I just nod to end the conversation and wait for the teacher to start class. Hana's a hopeless romantic, and sometimes it helps her but other times it leaves her naive to the world. Or in this case, high school boys.

My stomach growls loud enough for her to hear and I hear her try to stop a giggle from coming, but she fails completely causing everyone to look out way." Would you two like to explain what's so funny to the class?" Mrs. Hamilton asks with a raised eyebrow, causing us both to tense. We never get called out during class, leaving us both speechless.

She waits for an answer and as I open my mouth to explain, making up for Hana who keeps opening and closing her mouth like a fish, my stomach does the talking. A loud and distinctive growl comes from my stomach, and fills the classroom that has gone silent. Then all at once they all begin to laugh and joke with their friends, all mentioning something about the "nerd"." Well, if that's it then you two are saved but no more interruptions in my classroom okay? And Asher, I have a bag of chips on my desk if you don't think you can wait till lunch." A heat spreads across my face, making it as red as Marilyn Monroe's lip stick, and I begin to look at everything but the people around me. I stare at the blue door that had paint chipping off of it, like I'm waiting for a rescue from this embarrassment.

The door swings open, and I sigh out thanking the heaven for the distraction, but that breath is soon stuck in my throat when my eyes meet with a pair of cool dark blue ones. I can't believe it, a distraction."Is this Mrs.Hamilton's class?" His voice reaches over everyone causing their laughter to stop and look at him. I duck my head glad that it's off of me. Never have I ever been so embarrassed.

-------------------------------------------------------
Xavier's POV

The girl that helped me with my schedule during second period is now helping me again. We're looking for room 312B, Mrs.Hamilton's room." The teachers switch rooms a lot of times, why I have no idea, so you'll have to make sure this is her." The girl blabbers on as we reach down the hallway," are you sure your a nerd?" She asks, and looks up at me expectedly. She wears a bright pink shirt, pale tight skinny jeans, and white converse. But it isn't the view I'm getting of her shirt from this height that makes me tense, but the question.
"Y-yes. Why wouldn't I be?"

She smiles up at me as weekend what I'm hoping is the last corner and says," Your just different you know? Usually their all lanky, and have this posture like their going to get attacked at any moment. Plus, nerds aren't supposed to be cute. They supposed to be ugly, like those girls Hana and Asher. They think they're so much better than everybody else simply because they can keep their GPA above a three. Though I feel sorry for you because you'll most likely be hanging out with them because how your all the same kind." My fists tighten at how she said kind. Almost as if I was a pest that she didn't want to talk to." Oh and don't mention to anyone that I talked to you." I lock my jaw, and tighten my fists as I do a quick nod. It kills me not to tell her that I've screwed girls that could turn her sexuality with a simple hair flip, but I can't. Cause I'm supposed to be this dumbass nerd who doesn't have the guts to take up for himself.

Laughter comes from inside the room were standing in front of and she gesture to the door before taking off, probably not wanting anyone inside this room to see her close to me. I swing open the door, letting some of me anger subside from the grip k put on the handle. I meet a pair of blue eyes, and I'm stuck in them as my voice booms through the room," Is this Mrs. Hamilton's room?" I ask and take notice how everyone's glancing at the girl, my eyes are connected with, and how her face is red as it gets. I glance over the glance, forcing our gaze to end, and see everyone now staring at me.

"Oh look. A new nerd."
Someone from the back says, causing a new chorus of laughter to come again. My teeth grind against each other, but stop when I see the girl and her friend scowling at everyone who laughs. I then take notice in their clothes, and realize their supposed to be what I am. Nerds.