Chapter Two: Regrets

WARNING: touches on abuse and rape/harassment

Kody's POV

I can do this. I pep talk myself, sucking in a ragged breath. My first game was about to begin. I've played so many games, but for some reason today I was insanely nervous.

So far I've learned from the dwindling practices I attended, our team is utter shit. I exhale shakily rolling my tense shoulders in anticipation.

I charge onto the field with the rest of team tight knit and close behind me. It was seven pm and getting dark outside. The bright white stadium lights illuminated the field. I glanced at Coach Worthing, and as usual, he was eating a sandwich on the bleachers. I smile nervously as he notices to nodded at me reassuringly giving me a signature thumbs up.

I scan the crowd and sitting on the top bleacher the short blonde boy from the hallway sitting next to I think, his girlfriend. They were immersed in conversation, turning their heads to the field every few seconds.

It was too far for me to make out his facials but he had hid his face in his jacket just as the girl points towards me. I realized she was pointing at me, I turn away confused. Why was I watching them anyways? I had a game to focus on. I really, truly didn't mean to knock him over.

Shake it off, like my guy Lightning McQueen, I am speed. I zone into the game turning my focus to the guy from the other team directly in front of me. I exhale, and the game begins.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

We played...well. Well, our team had actually scored three touchdowns. Actually, I had scored three touchdowns. Hopefully we could pull a solid win out of our asses. I jog over to the bench to grab some Gatorade, blue Gatorade, the best Gatorade. It was now half time, the crowd was surprisingly wild for the band. Apparently the band won more completions that us, but we still got the funding. After I had scored the touchdowns the crowd were about as ecstatic, if not more. One small step for me, one giant leap for this raggedy ass team.

A few of the dudes from the team jog up behind the cheerleaders joining them in their chanting. Before I had even taken my drink I'm forced to join them, against my will. The one doing the dragging was my new friend, Pike.

He was grinning like a goofball as he convinces me to join them, his dark eyes gleaming with excitement through his helmet. Is this the high school experience?

The sea of purple goes wild chanting,"PANTHERS PANTHERS RAWR!!!" There was definitely heavy school spirit here, which was a huge plus.

I tried to think back to my old school to recall if they had any, but I couldn't. I sigh, taking off my helmet to finally get a drink. The sweat beaded down my forehead. I'm compelled to glance into the wild crowd once more and I see that boy and his girlfriend again. I squint, there was another guy up there who seemed to be picking a fight with them.

Having 20/20 vision had it perks. I see the blondes unamused face. It pissed me off, I wasn't sure why. I didn't even know this guy. But judging by his reaction, maybe I was a dick to him during our younger years. I couldn't shake the feeling that I recognized him from somewhere. Maybe I should talk to him.
Or maybe we were friends before I lost my memory.

I thought back to the car crash that happened about a year ago. I had woken up without memory of any events that occurred before I moved and the year after. All I had were bits and pieces of my childhood and a year of my mother and sister trying to help me remember who I was. I never got any flashes that were big or eye opening. I did tend to regain memories steadily in flashes. Maybe I'd fill the gap eventually. At least my body remembered how to play football.