Chapter Twelve: Understanding

Kody's POV

A sharp whistle blows, the team becomes a stampede, about as wild as the one that killed Mufasa. They trample down the hall into the locker room.

"Dude! You killed it. I'm so glad you're on the team!" Pike pats me on the back as he strikes his signature goofy grin.

"You're going to get so many scholarship offers. I'm jealous man." Ollie shakes his head. He begins to change into clean, non sweaty clothes.

"Where are you planning on going?" Ollie asks with interest.

I feel heat rising throughout my body. I begin to sweat, nervously scratching the back of my head in worriment.

"Honestly, I don't know." I say, which was true. I had so much going on and I didn't feel at all prepared for college. I mean who does? I knew that it was something that I wanted to do. I knew I needed to do it.

Pike slings his arms around Ollie and I as we exit the changing room.

"What are you guys doing after high school?"

I ask them, pondering the question.

"I want to go to college to be a marine biologist." Ollie says happily. "I just love the ocean, I want to move to a beach house with a nice peaceful seaside town."

"Every twelve year old girls dream. I'm impressed." I tease, he reluctantly agrees.

"I just wanna smash to be honest." Pike intervenes with a straight face picking at his nails.

Ollie rolls his dark brown eyes.

"I may not be the best football player but I'm the top of most of my science classes." Ollie flashes a proud smile.

"OLLIE THE SCIENCE KING OLLLIEEE THE SCIENCE KING OH OH OH!" Pike cups his hands to create a megaphone startling everyone. Ollie elbows him in the gut.

"Bill Nye is actually quite the intelligent guy if you look at his work and some debates he's been in you'll see-" Ollie starts and is interrupted by Pike again.

"Damn!"

"What?" Ollie questions him bitterly.

"Nothing, I just wanted you to shut up." Pike slaps him on the back. I roll my eyes and grin, they were goof balls, I was glad to have finally made some friends that didn't make me contemplate my whole life. It was nice.

"Have you asked Camilla to the dance yet?" I glance at Pike he had been with her for 3 months now. They had met over the summer, she was his math tutor for the longest time and then they started talking talking. She was a very quiet, shy, sweet girl, she had a blonde bob and wide curious blue eyes. You wouldn't expect them to be together. Pike was so obnoxious, but it was actually a great balance.
He was surprisingly caring, not the brightest lightbulb, but he was strong and had heart. He protected what he cared about. He was the mom friend on the down low.

His girlfriend was the complete opposite of Eva who was loud, temperamental, fairylike, and outspoken.

Camilla was soft spoken, nervous, mouselike, and modest, she never seemed to say more then three words when we were in group conversations.

"I'm asking her on our date tonight." Pike shoots a giddy smile in our direction.

"We're going stargazing. I made a poster with like a shitload of glitter that says; You're a beautiful star, would you give me the constellation of going to the dance with a supernova? PS if you say no I'll become a black hole ):

Ollie and I look at each other and burst into laughter.

"I don't get it!?" I chuckle, challenging him.

He glares at me, slowly becoming defensive and embarrassed like a child.

"Relax, its actually kinda..." I struggle."cute?" I shrug sheepishly.

He lets out a small humph, crossing his arms.
"What? Do you have a girl?" He presses.

I deflect, looking down."No."

They both raise their eyebrows at each other and smirk.

"You have a boy?"

I freeze, stress nipping at my head. Could they tell? There was a short silence before I answered.

"If there is we really don't care-" Pike starts.

"No!" I laugh flapping my arms around, deny, deny, deny. Everything stops and the silence seems to swallow me whole.

"I'm not sure." I breathe honestly. Scrunching my eyebrows, I feel a bead of sweat slide down my face.

"Let us know when you figure it out so we can make the prom table reservations." Pike points at his watch, a smile tugging at his lips.

I look up at Pike and Ollie, relief instantly rushes through me.

"You'll be the first to know." I roll my eyes playfully. Distracted, I'm now thinking of Maxxie. I smile to myself replaying events in my head. The most popular event being our kiss. That actually happened. I was slowly becoming more comfortable with myself as I remembered more and more of the past. I was now almost positive I lead this crazy double life, disobeying my mother.

I think back to the phone call with Baylee and I recall the memory that I assumed was with her brother Tristan.  Apparently, my ex boyfriend. I might've had an ex boyfriend, it was my first real relationship and I couldn't even remember it.

At least I knew that I was now beginning to warm up to the new information and the thought of me having a relationship with a guy. Slowly, but surely, I was reaching my mental goals and digging and searching endlessly through my memory like Indiana Jones.

Slowly, but surely.