3. Repast

"Have you never asked a woman out before?"

"I never need to." His confidence rankled her even though she knew it would have been true. Men who looked like that could get any woman he desired.

Xavier never had to ask a woman out before. The women he had met were all the same, with their impeccable sartorial tastes, coquettish natures and the same drive for hunting wealthy and dangerous man. They had been fascinated with the thought of being a moll, to the boss of an Italian mafia—the power that they will have.

The people around him were thirsty for power and money, and all the things that he had. So many people hoped to see his dead body on the news, yet he was still alive today. Saved by this little fragile woman in front of him who did not seem to care who he was or what he was. She never asked for anything in return, and that fascinated him because everyone expected something in return. That was how the world worked, his world.

******

En route, Megan caught glimpse of ocean behind the trees and a few beautiful houses as they had passed. The sun was sitting low on the horizon and the sky was turning orange-gold. It was getting dark by the time they had turned into a smaller road that went uphill until they reached a fence with a sign saying Private Property hanging on it. They drove through the open gate and reached a massive guard house. Two men wearing military uniform raised their arms in a salute to the man sitting beside her. She turned to look at the man in awe.

Who is he?

The car stopped in front of the mansion. The man beside her dismounted with Megan followed closely behind. Her jaw dropped when her eyes landed on the mansion in front of her. It looked more like a castle but it was all concrete and tall glass windows that gave a view of the mountains. Xavier placed his hand behind her waist and ushered her inside. In that grand entranceway, to greet the visitors, was the most monumental of chandeliers, the girth of of a giant evergreen alight with electric flame.

There were five maidservants standing in the hall greeting them, with their heads bowed down. One of them were wearing a different uniform.

That must be the head of housemaid. Megan thought as she surveyed them in wonder.

Yes her father was a wealthy man and she's always had maids with her too but these were different. They seemed so obedient and docile. The maids in her home were unruly.

"Caroline, please assist Megan to one of the guest rooms upstairs. She will be joining me for dinner later." Xavier ordered. His vicious tone radiated power and danger, which was very different from the way he had sounded in the car, with her.

Caroline, the head of housemaid, nodded and bowed down ceremoniously, as though she had been trained to do it.

"Wait... how do you know my name? I haven't even told you yet." Megan protested.

Xavier ignored her and exited the hall leaving Megan and the servants. Caroline lifted her head up and gave a warm smile to Megan.

"Please get a dress from the Lady's room. The one that Boss had recently bought." Caroline ordered one of the maids who stood behind them.

"Come my dear. You need to freshen up. Dinner will be ready in an hour." Caroline reached out her hand to Megan, to which she acquiesced.

"Who is he?" Megan whispered into Caroline's ear as she escorted her to her room.

"Boss never told you?" Caroline's eyes grew a little wide.

"No. He's so mysterious." Megan complained. "And annoying too." She crossed her arms and glared.