6. Flight

With that, her sense of hearing stopped working. Her hand was gripping hard on the door handle as she leaned against the wall next to the door. Her other hand was covering her mouth, stymied the strangled gasp. Her body froze as she stared at the hallway.

So I'm just a mistress to him?

She trudged back to his room and sat on the bed, trying to assimilate what had just happened. The woman's words made her heart pitch down to her stomach. Nauseated at the fact that he had cheated on his fiancée with her, she grimaced as she wondered if there had been a more excruciating, incongruous experience in the history of her life. Taking a deep, steadying breath, she dashed to her luggage bag to grab her passport.

I can't stay here.

She knew this man was never going to let her go willingly. He made it clear yesterday morning that it was not possible. She had to find a way out. She was not going to sit there and watch him get married to somebody else while she became his dirty little secret.

No. She would not let him do that to her. She deserved to be more than just a dirty little secret. This man was not her Mr. Right. She should have known and now, regret burned her at her daredevil imprudence.

Urghh! You're a fool Megan!

She jerked at the soft knock on the door. Caroline had opened the door and told her she was to join Xavier in the hall for breakfast. She nodded, her mind was a mess. She could not think properly.

"How was your sleep, tesoro?" Xavier asked in a firm but benign manner.

"Great." Megan forced a tight unenthusiastic smile at him while she ate her breakfast in silence. Her eyes could not help but glance around the room to find his fiancée but she was nowhere to be found.

That's weird. Will she not know when this man has a mistress?

"Antonio will bring you out to buy some clothes and other necessities. I have a business to attend to so I will only come back tonight." Xavier informed and Megan only nodded.

He wiped his mouth with the napkin and walked to her side, bent down and whispered into her ears. "Buy whatever you want. I can't wait to see you in my bed tonight amore mio. (My love)" He smirked and walked away, leaving Megan with her fists clenched and eyes burning with tears.

She felt like a dirt. Worthless repeated in her mind as she held on to what was left of her. It was her fault. She had let this man do this to her. She let this man treat her this way. She gave him the power. And to think that he would slowly open up to her and fall in love with her... but love was a big word. She could not fathom her feelings for this man. Did she fall in love with this man or was it just a moment of pure lust? All she knew was she had wanted to know this man inside out.

But that feelings was all long gone now.

******

Antonio had brought her to one of the Italian luxury fashion houses which was known for opulence.

"Antonio I want to try a few more lingerie. Would you mind buying me a hot chocolate please? I'm a little dizzy. I think it's the low blood sugar. It's acting up on me again." Megan winced as she rubbed her temple, letting him know she needed it right now.

"You sure? Do you want to head home then?"

"Yes but I have three more to go." She held up the lingerie in his face. "I want to make sure I buy something that Xavier likes tonight." She winked at him and gave him a smile that almost did not reach her eyes.