06 • Promise of a Change

Eva was dressed completely in black the next day; except for her frilly socks of course

Those were white.

She didn't know why, but Eva felt like there seemed to even be a black cloud hanging over her and following her around since that morning.

Contrary to everyone's belief, Eva quite understood what happened.

Her father was gone — he was no more.

She understood.

It meant he would no longer be around and when she saw a few people from her neighbourhood look at her with what she thought was sadness in their eyes, she frowned.

Why did they look at her that way?

What did they seem to be sad about? Because Eva didn't feel any bit sad. She felt odd and something else she couldn't put a name to... but she wasn't sad.

She didn't particularly miss her father either. There wasn't really anything she could miss — or long for. She'd grown used to his presence — whether it was him watching a game on the TV late at night with a glass bottle of that smelly drink in his hand, or him punishing ma, or even him shouting during each meal while sitting next to her on the dining table — and perhaps she'd miss that familiarity.

But other than the sudden absence of her father in her home and in her life sinking into her senses, Eva didn't feel anything.

He wasn't there. He wasn't there. He just wasn't there.

And Eva didn't know what to make of it.

Did she miss him? She didn't know. She remembered one of her classmate's father dying of some disease last year and everyone patting the boy's back with the same sad expression they gave her now. She could remember that boy crying and looking so sad.

She recalled someone asking him if he still missed his dad a few days ago.

Eva wondered why she herself wasn't crying... or looking sad... did she even miss pa?

She clenched her eyes shut, the confusion and feeling of not knowing anything beginning to overwhelm her all of a sudden. She swallowed audibly and pressed her lips together instead, deciding to not make any eye contact with anybody else.

The funeral was quiet and only two or three people showed up. For the most part of the day though, Eva and her mum were left to themselves until they had to return home.

And when they did return home, Eva strode towards the rickety stairs that always creaked when she ascended them, heading towards her room to shed off the uncomfortable dress. She hated dresses.

•••

“Eva?” her mother's voice caught her attention when she'd been sitting on her bed and staring at the wall blankly.