24 • Lambs & Wolves

⚠trigger - bullying / body shaming

Eva’s hesitant eyes landed on Maite, who was sitting beside her

Eva’s hesitant eyes landed on Maite, who was sitting beside her. Surprisingly, the girl’s hyper activeness seemed to be on pause. Then again, maybe Maite was one of those students who actually shut their mouths and paid attention in class.

If Maite was better than average, then Eva could use that as a ruse to build a rapport with her.  She could perhaps ask her to tutor her on subjects she found hard. That’d be a good enough way to make a friend, right? And even if not a friend, she’d at least be seen interacting with someone and maybe Logan won’t get any more calls from worried teachers.

As if on cue, Eva’s eyes darted towards Mr Quinn, her English teacher, who was explaining something to one of the students seated at the very front. Eva didn’t know the kid’s name. She preferred being overlooked, was comfortable walking in the shadows and that also meant having absolutely no interest in the world around her. The assumption that quiet people were observant didn’t apply to her— she didn’t give a second glance to anybody else. With the exception of her teachers or Maite. And there was Terrence. She supposed Jessalyn too was one of those whose existence she was very aware of.

She tore her eyes away from Mr Quinn, staring hard at the half-written essay in her notebook instead, hoping the gesture would also rip away the face of Jessalyn from her mind. Eva didn’t know why, but something in her stomach clenched whenever she thought of the bubbly girl she once knew; a girl that no longer existed.

Eva didn’t like the feeling. She didn’t like feeling like she had maybe pushed Jessalyn away a little too hard… was it called guilt? Eva gripped her pen a little tighter, her mood almost turning sour and the content feeling from this morning after running into Terrence slowly dissipating.

“Alright, listen up fellas,” Mr Quinn’s crystal clear, silvery voice cut through the silence that had settled on the classroom. Nobody batted an eye at his informal manner of speech; he pulled it off with the easy-going, patient personality of his. “I know it’s the beginning of the year but the project is fairly simple and it’s easier to give you your assignments in chunks rather than piling it all up for the last few weeks of the year. I’m pretty sure the lot of you can appreciate that, yes?” The corner of his mouth lifted into a smile and Eva felt like she wanted to smile too.

For a second —a split second —she wondered if Terrence would grow up to be someone like Mr Quinn. Kind, smart and helpful, always greeting everyone with a warm smile.

She shook the thought off.

“Are we getting a project?” Maite asked, her voice low enough for only Eva’s ears though she seemed to be talking to herself. “Already? I thought I could relax for at least the first month of this year,” she was frowning slightly.