eight

E I G H T

DEXTER'S NEVER BEEN needed in the kitchen before. Hadley's parents usually keep him outside to man the counter and, as Hadley kind put it, "charm the pants off every customer."

Monday morning, however, he shows up to work and is surprised when Hadley tells her they'll be closing up early so they can work on the big yema order that came last week. A rich couple wanted to use their candies as giveaways for their wedding. They ordered more than the shop usually took on, but Tita and Tiro talked it over and somehow decided to accept it in exchange for half a day's sales in the shop.

Dexter's hardly seen Hadley all morning as he mans the counter. It's a hectic one. A bus filled with tourists leaving the town that day had come to look around the shop. There were children everywhere, and with no one to help him manage all the customers, Dexter had to stay sharp and not let the growing line of people waiting for him to ring them up pressure him too much.

He's exhausted by the time Hadley comes out from the kitchen, but the steady trickle of customers had finally let up by then. The mouth-watering smell of the cooking yema tickles his nose, the aroma wafting out the kitchen as soon as Hadley steps out of it.

"We're closing up after grabbing some lunch," Hadley says. "Mom and Dad says they're not hungry yet, so let me just grab my wallet and we can go ahead."

"Are you sure they're not hungry?" he asks her. Then, with a suggestive smile, adds, "You know you don't have to lie just so you can have me all to yourself."

"Oh. Right. Because I'd totally let my parents starve just so I can spend time alone with you." She rolls her eyes and shakes her head dismissively. "Wait here."

She walks into the stockroom, which, Dexter learned when he started working here, isn't really a stockroom so much as it's a room where they can hang out during their breaks and stash their stuff when they're working.

Hadley comes back with her wallet and phone in hand. She sets them on the counter first before quickly tying her hair in a ponytail. He grabs where they're hanging on the wall behind them and walks over to the door, flipping the Sorry, we're closed sign over before turning back to Hadley.

"Just so you know," she says as she slips out the counter, "we'll be needing your help inside when we come back, so you better make the most of this break. God knows we'll badly need one later."

"It sounds exciting, to be honest," he admits. "It makes me feel like you're letting me in on a secret family recipe."

She snorts. "Trust me. There's hardly anything exciting about it."

They make sure to lock up before leaving, Dexter holding onto the keys in his pockets. They walk under the harsh glare of the afternoon sun, both of them squinting as they step out of the shop's awning.

Dexter didn't bring Adrian's bike today. He had a gig last night, which means that he wasn't even home yet when Dexter left this morning.

"I think I may be craving for something salty and unhealthy," Hadley tells him.

"Parker's it is, then."

It's only a short walk from the shop. Everything is, actually, this close to the beach. The whole street is a complete tourist trap, so the two of them are grateful when they find that their favorite booth at Parker's is still available.