ten

a / n : 

hi! i've seen you guys discussing a lot about dexter and hadley in the comments and i just wanted to ask you guys to please try to keep an open mind. i am aware that hadley's really the one who complicates stuff, but dexter isn't perfect either. both dexter and hadley are flawed and that's why i'm writing this in both their perspectives.

also, feel free to hit me up a question on my ask.fm (link on my profile) if you want to discuss them or their choices in detail with me. i'd always answer unless i'm giving away a spoiler.

* * * * *

T E N

SOMETHING DOESN'T FEEL right.

Hadley refuses to acknowledge this thought, but it sits there at the back of her mind like a blinking neon sign, drawing her attention away from all her other thoughts. It's been sitting there ever since the night Dexter dropped by for a visit only to leave without getting a chance for them to talk.

She'd be lying if she said she wasn't thrilled to see Dexter when he showed up at her house without warning. It was reassuring, considering how they'd barely spoken with each other ever since he and Andy started going out, and she was disappointed when he said he had to leave almost as soon as he arrived.

Truth be told, however, she was also relieved to see him go.

Their mini accident on the stairs left her feeling flustered. She doesn't know if it's just her, but she feels as though they'd shared a weird moment back there, him unintentionally pinning her down and her looking up at him, trying and failing to keep her breathing even.

The moment was over in less than ten seconds, but it kept playing in her mind, over and over like a song stuck on repeat; a song she couldn't quite get out of her head.

This alone doesn't worry her.

What really worries her is the fact that things between them have been weird as of late.

It's been a week since Dexter's visit, and they'd just successfully delivered the candies in time for the wedding on Sunday. The shop's slowly easing back to its normal routine. Tourists come and go, the regulars dropping by whenever they expect them to. Hadley's parents no longer need that much help in the kitchen.

This means that Hadley's back to helping Dexter man the counter and monitor the shop. It's something she's been looking forward to just a few days ago, but now it only makes her feel skittish.

Dexter's been acting the same—with his teasing jokes and witty retorts—but there's something off about their interactions. He rarely looks her in the eye. His voice sounds too chip, his laughter too loud. It's like he's trying too hard, too much—to the point that she's beginning to feel like there's a distance to their closeness that he's trying to cover up.

It doesn't help that he keeps running off to meet Andy every day after work. She tries her best not to take it personally, but Hadley can't help but feel like he's avoiding her. She wouldn't even be surprised if he were, considering the way he's been acting around her lately.

One thing's for sure though: Hadley doesn't like guessing games, and this one's confusing her so much it's taking up all the space in her head.

"O, anong problema?"