Chapter Twelve

The voice. . . It was back again. Whitekit tried to cry out, looking around her. It was quiet, however, unlike her first dream.

No pounding paws. . . No yowls. The rose was gone.

Whitekit glanced around, her fur fluffed up and blue eyes wide.

A prophecy. . . I think it's called, she thought to herself. That must be a prophecy. . .

Slowly breathing, Whitekit was on her paws standing up. The white rose. . . Awakened by - a call of the coyote? It was a giant puzzle to Whitekit. She walked about in the darkness, waiting for what was to come.

"Whitekit!"

Whitekit looked around for the voice--it was different than the one who spoke of the rose and the city. It was different than the voice of the prophecy.

Blinking, Whitekit could see something in the distance. It was small, but Whitekit could make out the shapes of buildings. It looks like EmpireClan, she thought. She began to pad towards the light.

The image in front of her began to grow, revealing a beautiful city--nearly identical to Whitekit's home. . . But there was something else to it, something more.

How pretty! Whitekit thought, for in front of her--in the midst of darkness--was pure light. It was indeed a city, new stone buildings lined up one after another. There was no broken glass, no fallen bricks, and no stench of rat-dung.

And most noticeably, this city was alive. It wasn't dark and dank like Whitekit's home--lights lit up the windows, making them seem homy and comfortable. Yes, the city was alive. Whitekit could hear different cats shouting, kits cheering playfully, and when she got closer, she could see a tall gray she-cat smiling at her.

"Whitekit!" The cat exclaimed happily.

Whitekit curiously dashed forward, looking up at the older cat. She noticed the well kept fur of the she-cat, and noticed her facial features. Stepping back in surprise, Whitekit gasped.

Valleysong?

Valleysong smiled. "I know you remember me. . . I see it in your eyes."

Whitekit smiled and touched muzzles with her friend. Where am I, anyways? She asked herself. Valleysong. . . She's not alive. . . After a moment, the kit came to her conclusion. StarClan. Or the Star City. . . I remember Mama talking about it. Standing back, she looked around. Suddenly, her eyes widened with fright. Am I dead?

Valleysong touched her tail to Whitekit's pelt, beckoning for the kit to follow.

"It's alright, Whitekit. You're not dead--your time has not come. However, you are here to discuss. . . The prophecy."

And there was the word. Whitekit tilted her head, slowly trailing behind the warrior. StarClan was beautiful, much like the City, but different in so many ways. Whitekit felt a connection as Valleysong took her deeper into the heart of Star City, and the kit could almost feel its heart pump with livelihood.

"I suppose you've heard of StarClan before," Valleysong smiled, noticing the kit's wide eyes. "Don't try to take it in all at once," she chuckled.

Whitekit smiled, redirecting her eyes to her friend. She nodded. Mama said it was very special. . . but I didn't expect this!