Chapter Fifteen

Whitekit chewed on the mouse she was eating, the warm juice making her hungry as she sank her teeth into the flesh.

Palekit had been helping her paw by changing the cobweb dressing every once in awhile. It was just about healed now, and Whitekit was glad. She could put weight on it with ease.

The kit sneezed, some of her food flying from her mouth. She silently giggled, licking her muzzle. She was lying down on the side of the center of camp, in the shade where she was barely seen.

Diagonal of her, she could see Palekit chattering away with Tumblekit--mostly about herbs and what she would learn as a medicine cat.

She could also hear some warriors talking--Strikeclaw and Finchwing were laughing together. I wonder if they like each other, Whitekit thought.

Shaking the minor thought from her mind, she chomped down on the mouse again, flicking her ears as she heard other sounds of the reconstructing clan.

Ryekit was tossing a mossball to himself, a saddening sight. Wolfkit had been his best friend, and now the tom was stuck with his sisters and their friend. He sighed as the mossball missed his jaws, rolling away. He bounded after it, trying to keep himself busy. Near him, Willowshade shared tongues with Thunderfoot. Both mates looked relieved after the few days of stress.

Jaggedwing carefully groomed Tallflower. The queen was looking out into the territory, most likely the spot where Wolfkit had been taken. She was still heartbroken. . . Jaggedwing was as well, though he tried not to show it. The tom grieved for the loss of Echomoon as well, for she was his fellow Flight Team member. He had been let out of the medicine den--but only for a little bit each day. His hind leg was still injured greatly, but after lots of begging, Heatherstone allowed him to talk to his mate once each day.

Embersun had been fairly quiet--since she became a warrior. While she was usually outgoing and fun to play with, Whitekit noticed how the she-cat had become calmer and much more independent. She was the only one left in her family, and it seemed that the she-cat was taking a slight interest in her mentor, Longstep. The black tom was much taller than her, but Embersun looked happy whenever they spoke.

Whitekit smiled. At least she can still be happy!

Heatherstone had been rushing around for the past sunrises, healing cuts and scrapes, as well as dealing with a fussy Jaggedwing. Herbs needed to restocked, and she rushed out every so often for marigold leaves and such--Whitekit had heard about it from Palekit.

Ivyfang, the clan elder, seemed weaker and weaker everyday. While she seemed to be slipping away, something held her together. Perhaps she just wasn't ready yet.

Wildstar was busy, as Whitekit had noticed. He kept Finchwing busy, having her send out patrols to make sure clans weren't taking advantage of EmpireClan's losses.

He must think other clans know already, Whitekit thought, finishing the morsel off.

Standing up, the small kit stretched, looking down at her right paw. She smiled, pressing down on it. She felt no pain!

Nodding to herself, Whitekit flicked her brown tail, admiring the busy camp. She sniffed the air, smelling nothing but a bunch of cracked leaves, old stone, Heatherstone's herbs, and cats.

Bored, the kit bounded over to her parents, looking up at them with wide eyes.

Mom! Daddy! She wanted to cheer with glee. She sat in front of them, smiling happily.

"Oh! Just in time, my little Whitekit!" Willowshade spoke.

Thunderfoot nodded, bringing his daughter closer to him. "Indeed--your mother and I have exciting news!"

Whitekit was intrigued. Would Palekit and Ryekit want to know too? She poked Thunderfoot's pelt with her tiny tail, glancing back and forth at her siblings.

Willowshade chuckled. "You can bring them over if you'd like," she said. "Or, you can be the first to know!"

Whitekit's head snapped to look at her mother, and she nodded excitedly. She wanted to be the first!

Thunderfoot chuckled.

"Well," the mates spoke in unison. They broke out into a small laughter.

"You can tell her," Thunderfoot said.

Willowshade smiled, nodding. "Whitekit. . . I think that I'm going to have another kit!" She said.

Whitekit was shocked for a moment. How could that possibly be? I'm only five moons! That soon? But. . . How? Does that mean Mama will need to stay in the nursery for a long time? How many kits will there be?

Questions flooded the kit's mind--it made no sense to her.

Whitekit cocked her head in surprise, and Willowshade nodded.

"I think, but am not positive," Willowshade reassured her kit. "We can go check with Heatherstone now, if you'd like to come along."

Whitekit nodded eagerly, trailing behind her mother and father. While it still made no sense to her, she bounded into the medicine den, where she heard her parents explain things to Heatherstone.

After the medicine cat finished listening, she nodded and gestured to a soft-rock with her tail. "Lie down, Willowshade. I'll check, though I'm sure I won't feel anything but an empty stomach. I wouldn't think it's possible to have kits so soon!"

Willowshade nodded. "I feel different. Not like my normal self. It's a familiar feeling, however."

Heatherstone shrugged, having the queen lie down. When she did, the medicine cat placed her paws on Willowshade's belly, feeling around for any signs of kits.

Shaking her head, Heatherstone took her paws away. "I don't feel anything. Not yet, anyways. It may take a moon or so before I can feel something,"

Willowshade sighed. "If you say so, Heatherstone."

I suppose Mama wanted more kits. . . Me, Palekit, and Ryekit. . . Are we not good enough? Whitekit thought in a sudden panic.

When exiting the medicine den, she heard Thunderfoot and Willowshade converse with each other.

"I don't know, Thunderfoot. . . That cat said I would have kits soon. How soon, though? Why?"

Whitekit caught small bits of the conversation, and she tried to listen as hard as she could.

"Who told you this, again?" Thunderfoot asked.

"A StarClan cat, I'm quite sure. She had a tan pelt, and green eyes."

"Name?"

"Hmm. . . She was a leader--I know that at the most."

Whitekit stopped in her tracks. Rosestar?

A/N:

Thanks for 1K reads! I'm glad people are actually reading and enjoying (I think) this book!

How were the descriptions of camp? Tell me if it was a bit confusing. . . I don't work well when listening to music XD. It messes me up.

So, what's going on in this chapter?

Willowshade got a dream from StarClan, and Rosestar told her she would soon have more kits. Why? Well. . . I'll leave you with a question.

Who are "the four"? 🐾