▻ 04 | NOT SO ROMANTIC

NOT SO ROMANTIC
[OUTSIDE APARTMENT COMPLEX ⇆ 8:06 PM]

A GLINT OF RED caught Zoë's attention from her spot on the floor-level concrete at the entrance of her apartment complex. After going through four days of being deprived of the sight of him, the idea that her mind could be playing tricks on her was present but quickly left when she saw him hold a hand up to her signaling her to wait for him there.

            Hugging the brown paper bags of groceries closer to her chest, Zoë narrowed her heavily lined eyes at him as she watched him quickly climb down through the fire escape of the building he was currently on, landing with a loud thud when he was sure no one was watching; unknowing that one person at the end of the street witnessed the friendly exchange of a hug between the pair.

"Look at you being all domestic when you don't even know my name." Zoë teased the male as he took the bags in his arms, the pair beginning to walk to the elevator through the empty lobby. The soft elevator music filled the air behind them as he looked over at her, nodding his head at her before tightening his grip on the bags.

            "Cassandra?" He furrowed his espresso brows under the mask, his voice full on conviction with his first guess at her name, only to be shot down by her simply shaking her head at him with a grin plastered on her face. "Stephanie?" Jason tried again, the sound of the elevator dinging and signaling their destination being his only audible answer as she shook her head once again. "Dammit."

            Jason followed the shorter girl down the familiar hallway, the one from the night they first met, and allowed his eyes to gaze over her appearance. The color in her hair was beginning to lightly fade, her red summer dress fitting in perfectly with the surprisingly  warm Gotham weather, and strands of wavy hair falling against her shoulders from the bun sitting atop her head.

            "Zoë. Zoë Anderson." She simply answered his question, fumbling with the keys to her apartment while he took in the new information.

The pair entered the apartment together, Jason taking his past place at the dining room table and gently setting the bags on the table. "Jason. Jason Todd." He copied her introduction, almost reaching for the button to take his mask off but stopping himself when the realistic side of his mind took over his actions. The consequences that could arise feared him into abstaining the image of his face from her, for now.

"So, you'll tell me your name and walk me up to my apartment but can't even show me your face?" Zoë' asked before stepping in front of him, playfully glaring at him and placing her palms against the cool surface of the helmet he wore. Swallowing thickly, Jason brought his hands up on top of hers, her hands appearing small in the hold of his gloved ones.

"Not so fast, princess." Jason brought her hands down and into his lap, not letting go of them just yet. "I don't think we're at that stage yet." He teased, leaning his face more towards her, ignoring the helmet that sat between them.

"After I patched you up? How rude." Zoë' scoffed, stopping herself from the situation escalating into something more and removing herself from his grip.

            The thought of allowing herself to get close to someone right now was terrifying, especially with the way she's been pushing the pain of her recent break-up to the back of her mind and not successfully dealing with it a coping mechanism her and the vigilante unknowingly shared.

            "Soon." Jason bluntly told her, a tad distraught at her attempt to subtly reject his advances and the event from this morning as he headed towards the front door. "Trust me, it'll be worth the wait." He added, relaxing his nerves when her saw her facial expressions perk up at her words.

            "Hold on." He froze in place while Zoë's hands began scribbling something on the back of a receipt in red ink, handing it to him when she was done. "Here, that way I won't have to wait around for you to stop by." Taking a quick glance at the combination of numbers on the paper, Jason smugly grinned up at her before putting it inside the pocket of his jacket.

            "Someone missed me." Jason cockily commented, reminding himself to not let her wait for him for four days; even though, he was afraid to be seen as too pushy if he continuously showed up at her door.

            "Whatever, go." She rolled her eyes, shooing him out of the apartment with a wave of her hand. "Be a hero or whatever it is that you do out there."

°

ok so that mr.robot trailer has got me f*cked up like im so in love like f*ck me in the heart rAMI it makes me wanna write a bajillion stories about this dick