Thirteen

"PHIL!" I screamed.

PJ and Chris spun round – eyes wide.

People were yelling. I could hear the pounding of running feet; faint and muffled, as if coming from far away. All I could see were the backs of Chris and PJ's heads as they crouched over Phil's motionless figure.

A teacher came running, her heels clattering on the stones.

"WAS IT A GUNSHOT?!" She screamed. "IS HE HIT?!"

"No, it's okay miss." PJ was saying.

I couldn't focus on his words, my head was spinning.

"He's just fainted."

Fainted.

My head flooded with relief and I collapsed at the knees, burying my head in my arms.

"I fucking hate you, Phil." I whispered.

I could hear commotion out the window: the sounds of people simultaneously running towards and away from the forest. Soon, police sirens wailed in the distance.

It sounded like they were trying to cordon off the whole forest before sending in a search party. I didn't envy them. The trees were dark and sinister even when there weren't gunshots flying.

Voices wafted down the corridor and I pulled myself up off the floor to open the door. PJ and Chris were supporting Phil between them and I darted forwards to help them, whispering his name into his hair. As my lips brushed his earlobe, he stirred.

"Dan." He sighed.

"It's okay Phil, I'm here. It's okay." I tried to wrap my arms around him as we shuffled. "It's okay." I repeated helplessly.

We lifted him into bed and PJ went to grab a glass of water while I drew circles on Phil's hand with my finger. Chris was watching the action unfold out of the window.

"One of us should go find out what's going on." He murmured.

"I'll go. I need to tell them what I saw." I muttered, giving Phil's hand a quick squeeze and pecking him on the cheek. "They'll look after you. You'll be fine, I'll be back in five minutes I promise."

Phil nodded glumly, a thin sheen of sweat covered his skin and he was pale and trembling.

PJ looked up sharply at me. "What did you see?"

But I just shook my head and got up to go. "Don't you dare leave his side until I'm back." I said.

PJ nodded, pressing a wet flannel against Phil's forehead. "Of course."

*

Outside, turmoil reigned. The college was in a state of upheaval – teachers were running and yelling and trying to call order, some pushing students backwards while others pulled them forwards again to form a barrier around the trees.

I slipped through the jostling crowd towards the sea of hi-vi jackets and black caps, skipping in a quick circle to avoid my Law teacher and ending up face to face with Sergeant Donovan. His strained expression slid off his face as he recognised me, to be replaced with grim resignation.

"So, young Daniel. Fancy seeing you here. I'd be willing to take a guess that you have a statement to give; how convenient that you happened to be in the right place at the right time yet again. We knew it was going to happen of course, after the incident on Saturday, but maybe we should get you on the force seeing as you seem to be far better at predicting the finer details. Or maybe you should go straight past the staff room and into a cosy little cell." He surveyed me shrewdly and I squirmed. I had no idea what he was talking about, but a feeling of dread was running like ice down my spine. "Either way, if you'd like to follow me. Sir."