Twenty Three

[I may well rewrite this chapter because i'm not 100% happy with it but here it is, the important one you've all been bugging me over. sorry about this. please let me know what you think!!]

 ______________________________________________

The iron knocker was ice in my palm. I lifted it once, twice and let it fall. The spikes had carved a dent in the wood over time that intensified the hollowness of the sound so that it resonated all down the street. Doubtless was his intention. I waited, my face blank and emotionless.

A voice from inside called out, muffled by the door. "Come in."

There was something off about his tone, something that sent shivers down my spine. I was expecting yells -deadly whispers - curling malice and heavy silence. Instead, Knuckles' voice was high and strained, almost choking.

Cautiously, I pushed open the door.

The sight that met me made my eyes open wide with shock. Knuckles was crouched in the hallway, leaning over the figure of a small girl with his arms around her shoulders. She was crying softly, her head in her hands, a sheet of fine dark hair splayed haphazardly around her face. As I stepped over the threshold, Knuckles raised his head. His eyes were red and puffy, but his glare was scorching.

"I didn't think you'd come," he said, his usual growl somewhat hoarse yet dripping with malevolence. "But I'm glad. Now you can see firsthand what you've done."

I opened and closed my mouth wordlessly, backing slightly towards the door.

"This is Jake's sister, Ellie. You remember Jake, don't you Dan? Your friend?" Knuckles sneered.

"I don't understand," I whispered, "why's she crying?"

"Why's she crying?!" Knuckles exploded. "WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK SHE'S CRYING? YOU KILLED HER BROTHER!"

I took another step back, shaking my head noiselessly and raising my hands helplessly in front of my face. "Jake's... dead?"

Knuckles brow furrowed and he pulled himself up, shaking. He took a loping step forward so that I could feel his hot breath on my face. "Jake and Gabes died three days ago in a car crash trying to escape the police, thanks to you."

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I stammered. "I didn't know they were, that they were dead. Oh my God. Are you sure-? I, I had no idea about any of this till literally a few days ago, and I swear I didn't go to the police!" My pleas faded into the emptiness.

Knuckles raised his eyebrows incredulously, lunging forwards to grasp my wrists in his fists and pin them behind my head. His thick fingers dug painfully into the soft skin on the inside of my wrists and he pushed his face so close to mine that the hairs on the back of my neck were brushed by his breath. "If you're lying to me..."

"No! I swear it's the truth I swear on my life honestly I never..." I whimpered, screwing my eyes shut.

"Why are you here then?" He growled. "Why would you have come unless you were guilty and finally ready to face me? Or are you just here on a social call?"

"Because you said you were going to kill Phil," I whispered, my eyes still tight shut. "I came to tell you that we'd broken up. So there was no need anymore. Because he's not my boyfriend. So that means you can leave him alone, right? It's me you want."

Knuckles' eyes bulged and something shifted behind them.

"Phil didn't tell you?" He hissed, releasing my wrists as if he'd been burnt and taking a step backwards. "He didn't tell you?"