Chapter 24: Never a Dull Moment

"Hey Zane," I whisper to the boy watching tv by himself in his room.

"Hey," his voice is raspy, showing his drowsiness, "your back."

"Yes," I reply.

"Come, get in."

He pulls back the sheets to the empty spot next to him.

I'm glad it's dark in the room because my eyes grow wide as saucers. The TV five feet away from me also limits his sight of me because it's flashing in his perfect face.

"Uh, let me go change first."

"Alri-"

Before he finishes his word I am retreating to my room.

I find some nike shorts and a T-shirt in the dresser near the bed and put them on.

Letting out a sigh I fall back into the bed behind me.

Just 30 minutes ago I kissed my boss and now my fake boyfriend who doesn't seem fake anymore wants me to sleep in the same bed as him.

Life does get more complicated after high school, and I haven't even graduated.

I grab my phone from the purse I took to dinner and slowly crept to Zane's bedroom. I wish I could have just fell asleep in the guest room bed. It would have been easier to ignore the weirdness of walking in and having to talk to him.

Standing right in front of his door I slowly push it open and peek inside. His eyes are closed.

I shouldn't wake him. So I try and close the door back and head to my room, but a groggy voice makes my heart flip.

I didn't catch what Zane said but I walk in and go to the side of the bed.

"We're you trying to leave?" Was the first thing he says after I set my phone on the night stand next to his mattress.

"I didn't want to wake you..." I admit leaving out the part of being too tired and awkward to try and talk to him right now.

"Come here," he motions to the spot where he had previously pulled back the covers.

I lift my feet from the floor and crawl into the bed.

"How was dinner?" He asks the question I didn't want to here.

"Good," I curtly reply.

"Anything interesting happen?"

"Not really we had enchiladas if you were wondering."

"Sounds good."

"Anything interesting happen with you?" I ask trying not to seem suspicious.

"Piper brought dinner for us to eat. I guess she wanted to eat with friends for all her meals today because she said she had breakfast with Ian this morning."

"Oh cool..." I think of reasons why she would have breakfast with Ian. I know the dinner with Zane was to maybe get in his mind how I wasn't the right person or how I could be cheating. I mean she wasn't not correct but she wasn't right either.

"Did she say anything about me?" I question trying to be nonchalant.

"She told me you would probably ask that," he replied as my heart skips a beat.

"What?!" I spoke in shock.

"Calm down," he laughs, "she had some crazy idea she kinda mentioned to me about how you may not be who you say you are. She said her and some of the others talked about it."

Oh great she's trying to get her friends on her side. Wonder who will win that one.

He continues, "but I made sure and tell her I did a background check on you and your fine."