~17~

Risa—

"You can't make me sign this." I say, furious with the woman standing in front of me.

"You're right," she says, "I cant. But, If you want Aspen to live, you will sign it and agree to what I want you to do."

"This is outrageous!" 

"Maybe from your perspective, but not from mine. I can see how an inferior mind like yours would see it that way."

"Inferior?" I ask incredulously, "Inferior? Did you really just call me inferior?"

"It is a fact. A simple and true fact. My brain function is much higher than yours. I have received superior education and and much wiser than you."

I rage internally at her complete demeaning attitude but decide against any more conflict. That would probably not fare well to Aspen and I don't want to risk that. I stare at the tablet in utter repulsion, but can I really do anything about it? I don't have a choice. If I don't sign it, she is going to kill him. She would murder him over a stupid agreement. I again stare at the tablet and re-read the whole thing several times. 

I can't be reading this right, I think. Allow any and all "medical" procedural testing, no questions asked, and no resistance. What kind of "medical procedural testing" would require me to ask questions or resist, unless it isn't just medical testing? What do they want to do with me. Or with my family? They said they had my brother.Is this a joke? Do I really want to risk someone else I love over the other? They want me to weigh my feelings for both, and choose which I allow them to have complete liberty with? To chose which one might die? What is this?

"I need an answer." She says, her voice laden with agitation.

"Give me a minute." I snap.

How do I chose which person to give up? This isn't a decision I should have to be making. I should be deciding what I am wearing to school tomorrow. What I want to eat for lunch today. Not, should I save Aspen, or Luke? I feel tears starting to well up in my eyes and my vision gets blurry until I can no longer see the words. I blink back the tears hoping she didn't notice; hoping she didn't see my point of weakness. Weakness gives her something to exploit.

"What is the other option?" I ask buying time.

"There is no other option." she bluntly states, "Either you sign the agreement, or you don't, and deal with the consequences. I am giving you a choice. I could have not given you an option, but I did anyway. I suggest you pick a route before I revoke your only chance. I am loosing patience."

I look again, and as I do, Imagine Aspen and Luke. Which do I chose? How do I chose? In a moment of complete weakness I cave.

"Where do I sign?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry these last few have been really short. I'm hitting a wall and I have no clue where to even begin going with this plot. I might be taking this book down soon...It's not doing so well ):