chapter one

"Come on, Frank!" Exodus shouts. She is dressed in all her gear, and so am I. Unlike at a regular high school, there are no robes for your graduation day at fighting school. We're are encouraged to "express our individuality", and since everyone has different fighting outfits, most people just wear those. There are, however, a few people who really shouldn't be in fighting school who go out and buy dresses. I think that's stupid.

My outfit includes brown legging with leather boots, and a grey tunic that does not cover my arms. I like it that way. The tunic does reveal a bit of my midriff, so I often wear a tank top under it. I'm also wearing my arm and hand guards, as well as my shoulder guards, since those are what make me stand out the most.

When you get better, you achieve different levels, and are awarded new guards that go with them. Black is the lowest. Next is green, then brown, then grey, then finally silver. And I bet you can guess which one I am.

Exodus leads me out of our dorm and we walk together down the hall. Our friends Olander and Ben have their dorm in the second level, and Misk has a single room next to them.

Land and Ben have been friends their whole lives, unlike most other people. They went to the same elementary and middle schools, and their are some rumors circulating that they lived in the same house as kids. Misk was Ben's girlfriend a few years ago, but she dumped him. Now she and Land are dating, but he's not really into her. That's pretty much the only reason we keep her around, though.

We dash down the stairs and turn the corner. Exodus immediately knocks on the door closest to us, and it opens. Land sticks his head out. He has dark brown hair that falls in front of his eyes.

"Why aren't you ready yet?" Exodus demands.

"We were about to go but Ben had to take a shower," Land whines.

"No excuses," Exodus says, narrowing her eyes at him. "Get him out of there."

Land sighs, then he turns around and walks back into the room. I hear the sound of him knocking on the bathroom door. "Ben?" Land shouts. "Exodus says we have to go. And Frank is with her."

The water shuts off, then Ben comes out of the room, wrapped in a towel, with Land at his side. He glares at Exodus, who smirks.

"Is that your outfit for graduation, Ben?" I tease. "I didn't towel ensembles were a thing."

Ben looks at me, his face turning to the color of a tomato. Then he quickly turns and rushes back into the apartment. I laugh. He returns a few minutes later, dressed in gear similar to Land's.

Soon after, Misk joins us, her sleek black hair tied up in a bun atop her head. Her ancestors were Japanese, but she's completely American in personality. She flashes a smile at Land, who forces a smile back.

She looks us all up and down, then nods her head. "What are we waiting for?"

Outside, the bright sun glares down us from behind a thin layer of clouds. It's almost noon, and it's just reached the center of the blue sky. The entire school is crowded around the outdoor stage, all dressed in their graduation outfits. Some of the girls are completely dressed up in long, flowing gowns, making it evident that they didn't read the forecast.

As soon as the clock strikes 12, the crowd hushes and the dean makes his way to the podium at the front of the stage. He is dressed in a black suit with a yellow tie that is almost cringe-worthy. He taps the microphone a few times, and I plug my ears from the feedback that echoes around.

He clears his throat. "Welcome, students." Another screech from the sound system cues a few shouts as people quickly cover their ears. Beside me, Exodus only cringes.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate great achievement," the dean begins. "Over the course of four years, our Class 24 has pushed the limits of combat skills. As you know, the nickname for our school is Old Glory, and our seniors have given reason to continue holding that title."

The crowd cheers.

"Now it is time to celebrate those students," the man continues. "When your name is called, please come to the podium to receive your medal and diploma." He then begins at the top of the list, which is alphabetized. "Rosemarie Alanns."

A tall girl who is dressed in a traditional combat outfit makes her way to the stage. I recognize her from the few times I've seen her in the hallways. She stands beside the dean, smiling proudly.

"Rosemarie has had a wonderful session here at Fighting Academy Number 674," the dean proclaims. "She came in strong and finished strong, at rank 17 in her whole class. And that's nothing to be ashamed of."

The crowd claps as Rosemarie receives her medal and scroll of paper, and I smirk. Nothing to be ashamed of, huh. Not if you're me.

Soon, the dean reaches Exodus' name. "Exodus Clarkby," he says. I smile, then give Exodus a slight shove towards the stage. Land and Misk cheer loudly, while Ben scowls.

Exodus stands next the dean, towering over him by almost a foot. He looks up at her, trying not to show his embarrassment, although it is painted across his sweaty face.

I watch as he makes his speech again, praising Exodus for her hard work and excellent skills, ranking at number 3. Then he hands her the medal and diploma, shaking her hand firmly. The crowd applauds as she returns to stand next to me.

The dean continues calling people up until he has reached the F section. My whole body tenses as he nears my name. Fane. Fireland. Flown.

"Cammile Frank," the dean announces. I grin sheepishly as the crowd erupts into cheering, hooting, clapping and whistling, all for me.

Exodus pats my back, and Ben whispers, "Don't choke."

I slowly walk towards the stage, and the crowd parts for me, leaving a clear path. I climb the small flight of stairs that leads to the stage and cross the platform to stand beside the dean. He smiles at me proudly.

"I'm sure you all know who this is," he says, turning back to the crowd. The students all cheer again, waving their graduation hats at me. The hat is the only traditional part of the costume that we must wear.

"Cammile Frank is from right here in Thief River Falls, Minnesota," the dean begins. I can tell he's readied an entire speech. Hopefully I won't have to listen through it all. "She was born in the year 2070, and went to John Rolands Elementary School. When she finished there, she went on to Caliper Academy for Junior High. After eighth grade, she received an invite to this very school, which she happily accepted.

"She started at Fighting Academy Number 674 in the year 2084. Now she is graduating at the top of her class. She competed in the final battle and emerged victorious. This, students, is a great fighter. May her days forever by full of glory." With that, he shakes my hand as the crowd celebrates.

I grin proudly as the dean lifts the medal over my head. The ribbon rests on my neck, and I raise my head back up, showing all my teeth. The crowd cheers even loudly as I walk back off the stage. They clap wildly as I pass through them, and some pat my back.

When I reach my friends, they all hoot and whack my back, grinning and laughing.

"Nice job, Frank," Land teases.

Exodus hugs me, then ruffles up my hair. "You're so great, Cammile."

I grin back at her. Streamers and confetti fall down around me and some get tangled around my hands as I hold them up in celebration.

Today is my day.