chapter three

I look up at the dean, but he has a calm expression on his face.

"So what am I supposed to do?" I ask.

"Well, we would prefer that you accept, but, as said in the letter, the choice is up to you," he replies.

I bite my lip. All my life I've wanted to be famous for my fighting skills. I want everyone in America to know the name of Cammile Frank. I want them to cheer when they hear it. But if I do this, nobody will know who I am.

"Can I have a while to think about it?" I ask the dean.

He nods. "You have until the end of this week to tell me your final decision, though it would be best if you could inform me before the last day," he instructs. With that, he gestures to the door, and I stand up. I open the door, then pause.

"Thank you," I say, before exiting the room and closing the door behind me.

"What was that about?" Exodus asks me when I return to our room.

I pause, not sure if I should tell her. The dean never said anything about keeping it confidential, but the letter said it was top secret.

Exodus must have noticed it, because she says, "You don't need to tell me if you don't want to. I'll just assume it's some kind of promotion where you'll be famous because you're so great."

I grin, then remember what it had said about fame. Ignore it, Cammile, I tell myself. Fame isn't everything.

"It's fine, I can tell you," I decide. I've always told her everything - why should this be any different? "Basically there's this group - I think they're like a branch of the army - or something - but they want me to come join them. They're called the Diversions."

"Interesting," Exodus notes. "Are you going to do it?"

"I'm not sure. I want to, but..." I trail off.

"What is it?"

I bite my lip. "It's just that, there are like secret and stuff, so I won't be famous."

Exodus pauses, then grins. "Oh, poor you," she taunts.

I laugh, sheepishly. It is kind of dumb that I care about if I'll be famous or not, but I feel like my skills shouldn't go to waste. People need to know how great I am.

"What do you think I should do?" I ask, sitting down on the couch beside my friend. I notice she's already wearing her pajamas, which are just a tank top and sweats. Exodus practically lives in those sweats.

She shrugs. "Whatever - it's your choice."

I shoot her a glare, and she laughs. "Well, I guess, if I was you, I would do it. But I'm not you."

"Thankfully," I say. "You would probably completely mess up my social life."

Exodus laughs again, and I watch her as she rolls off the couch, landing loudly on the floor. I chuckle, and she glares up at me.

"Gracefulness," I say. "Is not your strongest trait."

She stares murderously at me for a second before her lips betray her and breaks into a huge grin. I've always admired the way her green eyes twinkle like stars when she smiles. It could lighten up any room.

"So, how's it going with Ben?" She asks.

I recoil, surprised. "Ben?"

"Oh, come on, I've seen how he looks at you. I'm sure you guys have something going on," she replies, nudging me.

"There's nothing - why would you think I like him?" I stammer. She can't possibly think I like Ben.

"I don't necessarily think you like him, I just thought you might be humoring his crush on you."

I shake my head, still surprised. Ben has always just been a friend to me. "Well, you thought wrong. I would never date Ben."

"That's what I thought," she says. "Because otherwise I would have trouble maintaining our friendship. That boy grosses me out."

I laugh.

Finally, our second-to-last day of school arrives, and it's time for me to choose where I'm going next. Exodus wakes me up by shoving her dirty sock down my throat, a ritual that started on a night three years ago when I forgot to do her laundry. Believe me, I've never forgotten since then.

I sit up in bed, coughing as I pull out the sock, and Exodus laughs hysterically.

I glare at her. "Did you really have to do that?"

"Of course, Frankie dear," she says, smirking. She pats me on the head, and I grab her arm and flip her onto the bed, pinning her down. She laughs again, and I release her.

"So, have you decided?" She asks once she's sitting next to me.

I almost ask what she means, but I know. Am I going to work with the Diversions.

I sigh. "Yes," I tell her, though I still haven't convinced myself that's my final answer.

Exodus narrows her eyes. She always detects when I lie. "You aren't sure."

"No, I - I'm sure."

She shakes her head. "Cammile, you have to be certain. If you're going to do it, you're going to do it. If you're not, you're not." She pauses. "You don't have to do it."

"I know," I reply. "But, I do want to. I think."

Exodus sighs. She looks at me, then licks her lips. "Okay, well, we should go to the dean's office and inform him of your decision."

I nod. I stand, then help up Exodus. I pull on some sweatpants and over my bare legs, and slide my feet into my sandals. Exodus is already ready, and she opens the door. We run down the hallway, down the staircase, then out the door on our way to the main building.

Fighting Academy Number 674 has quite a large campus, though it's nothing compared to some schools  in New York and in California. Fighting Academy Number 307, in Los Angeles, has 10,000 acres, though a quarter of it is just open land.

I pull open the door to the main building, and Exodus and I enter. There had been a light rain outside, but we aren't too wet. I lead her down the hallway to the dean's office, and I knock on the door.

"Come in," calls the dean from the inside.

I twist the doorknob and walk inside. I've only gone a few feet when I realize Exodus didn't come with me. I turn around and see her standing in the doorway. She seems not sure if she can come in or not.

"Your friend can enter," the man says.

Sighing, Exodus follows me in, closing the door behind her. We both take a seat.

"I assume you have come here to tell me your decision, Cammile Frank."

I lick my lips tentatively, then nod. "I would like to go work with the Diversions."

There is a moment of pause before the dean smiles. "Good choice, Miss Frank. I'm sure you will represent our school well."