chapter seven

I am awoken by a loud pounding on the door. Groaning, I roll over, pulling the blankets up to cover my head.

"Wake up, Frank," comes Charlie's commanding voice.

It takes me a second to realize where I am. At fighting school, we woke up at 8:00, but it feels earlier than that. I turn over to look over at the clock, and I'm surprised to see it reads 8:06.

"Time zones, sweetie."

Startled, I look to see Charlie standing in the doorway. She is fully dressed, wearing black combat gear, as well as a dirty leather jacket. "I suppose it's a bit early for you, but I let you sleep in. Get up."

I narrow my eyes at her, and she glares back. I've only known her for a day but I already hate her. Sighing, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and stand up. My night hadn't been terrible, but there is a curious smell in the air that will take some getting used to.

"Clothes are already in the dresser," Charlie says. "Come out when you're done." Then she closes the door.

I hate when people don't give me a chance to reply.

Five minutes later I emerge from my room, wearing my classic combat outfit. Instead of the brown leggings however, I chose to wear a pair of black leather pants that had been stuffed into the bottom drawer of the dresser. My black boots have been worn so many times they're more of a gray color now, and fit very snugly around my legs.

The hallway outside my room is empty, and I realize everyone else must already be up. Remembering Charlie's brief tour last night, I make my way through the hallway and down the stairs, hoping to find someone. I've just reached the last step when a shadow in the corner moves. I freeze, my heart stopped.

Hael steps out, and I relax.

"You almost killed me," I accuse.

He smirks. "I thought you were supposed to be the best. No one sneaks up on Cammile."

I glare at him, but then turn around so he can't see my smile. There's something about that boy; I can't decide if I like him or if I want to murder him. "Where's everyone else?" I ask.

"I'll show you." He gestures for me to follow him, walking down the hallway. At a brisk pace, he leads me past the staircase and, turning a corner, to a large wooden door.

"This used to be the library," he tells me, swinging open the door. We enter a large, spacious room, the walls lined with wooden shelves that almost reach the ceiling. The shelves are filled with books, some tall, some the size of a hand.

"Why are we here?" I ask, turning to him. What's the point of taking me to a room full of knowledge? Is this how they're going to train me?

He doesn't answer but instead leads me to the side of the room. He takes a minute to scan the book shelf, and I hear him mutter something about Charlie and hide-and-seek. Finally, he reaches up at extracts a single book from the shelf and hands it to me.

Warily taking it from his hands, I read the title. A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. Looking back up at Hael, I raise an eyebrow.

"Open it," he commands.

Slowly, I turn the cover page, then the next three pages that hold the copyright information and dedication. When I come to the first chapter, I stop.

"Read it."

"You never answered my question," I complain.

"Just read it," he says, gritting his teeth.

I consider punching him, but I decide against it. Sighing, I begin read the first paragraph aloud. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness - "