chapter two

The following days pass quickly, for the finals and assessments are done. There is still one more week of school, though we don't really learn anything new, now that we know if we've graduated or not.

"What do you think you're going to do now?" Exodus asks me on Thursday. We only have three more days together, and then I might never see her again.

I shrug. "Maybe I'll go work for the government."

"Yeah, you could be their personal ninja," she replies, grinning.

I laugh. We are sitting at a table in the large cafeteria, surrounded by hundreds of other students. Some of them didn't graduate, and they have to do another year. Not me.

"Hey guys," Land says. He and Ben have just arrived, carrying full trays of food. The school appears to have attempted to serve casserole, but it just looks like a burned pile of mush. I scrunch up my nose at the smell.

Exodus shuffles over, making space for Ben to sit next to her. Land accidentally kicks my back while swinging his leg over the bench. He immediately apologizes, and I grin devilishly. No one wants to cross me.

"What number did you guys end up with?" I ask.

"566," Exodus replies, promptly. She straightens up, looking proud, and I laugh at her.

"I got 527," says Land, not looking as happy.

Ben grumbles. "At least you got 500."

Exodus turns to him. "And you didn't?" she questions. Her pale eyebrows are arched, creating both a surprised and teasing expression. We've always teased her about how light her eyebrows are, since you can barely see them. It's not her fault, since they match her dirty blonde hair, decorated with a few almost-white streaks. Currently, she has it in a braid that barely reaches her shoulders, but climbs all the way to the top of her head like a ladder against her scalp. She had Misk do the braid French-style, since Misk can do anything with hair.

Ben immediately blushes, his face turning a tomato shade of red. He looks like he regrets his comment. "I, um, got - " he says, stumbling over the words. "I got 498."

We all stare at him. None of my friends have ever gotten anything less than 520, let alone 500. I can read the shock on both Exodus and Land's faces. I'm surprised Land didn't know about Ben's score, since he always knows everything about his best friend.

"Well, it's almost 500," I offer, breaking the silence. I feel kind of bad for him, though he really should have done better. I guess there are some that have done worse. I heard one girl only got 239 last year, which isn't even close to the average. The whole school was shamed, and we got demoted from the list of great fighting schools. The staff was not happy.

Exodus nods, saying, "Cammile's right, it's only 2 points away."

Ben drops his head in shame. "But it's still not 500. I've let you guys down."

Land looks as if he's about to comfort him when the speakers suddenly crackle, signaling the beginning of an announcement. "Cammile Frank, please come to the main office," a scratchy voice orders.

All the heads in the cafeteria turn to me as I slowly stand up.

"Why do you think they're calling you?" Exodus asks, looking up at me from her seat.

"No idea," I reply. I walk away from my friends, through the maze of tables. Once I exit the huge tiled room, I venture down the hallway, leaving the sound and the stench behind. I take a few turns before reaching the dean's office. I slowly ease open the door, and the man at the desk looks up.

"Ah, welcome, Cammile," he says. "Please, sit down." He gestures to a soft chair beside his and I obey, sitting and turning to face him.

"Now, we both know that you have done exceptionally well, this year," he begins. "In fact you've tied the record for the best any student has ever done at this school. Only one other person has achieved a point total of 599, and that was 10 years ago. And, as you know, that person, known as Alexandra Hegton, continued on to become the President of Military Services for the state of Minnesota."

I nod. Alexandra was legend, back then. I was eight years old and I was living here in Thief River Falls with my mother. She knew, even then, that I was going to go to the school here, and she helped me consistently through my early years of academics. Not that it helped much - I still failed most classes.

When Alexandra Hegton came to Fighting Academy Number 674, all of the town prospered. Thief River Falls has always been a small place, with a population never reaching more than 4,000. But during the years that Alexandra was here, it became extremely popular and the economy rocketed.

Everyone loved Alexandra, so when she ran for the President of Military Services, everyone voted for her. I think it was almost unanimous. Alexandra finished her term after 6 years, and she is still known as a hero. She has not only been the person I looked up to, but I've always wanted to be better than her.

"Yes, I know of her," I say.

The dean continues. "During your time here, all of the staff has been excited, hoping that you will be the next Alexandra - that you will be the hero of Thief River Falls, maybe even all of Minnesota."

More like the world, I think to myself.

"Earlier today, we received a very special letter," the dean says. He leans forward, his hands clasped. His knuckles are white, and he appears to be very excited. This is good.

I wonder what the letter is. Is it some kind of promotion?

The dean now reaches under the desk and pulls out a black envelope. He hands it to me, and I examine it. There is no return address, just the sending address of the school. It appears to have already been opened, but the seal is still intact. I look closely at the sticker and realize that it is picture of a tiger, walking forward, with its eyes set straight ahead.

I quickly open the envelope and extract the piece of paper held inside. I unfold it, my hands shaking with excitement. What is it?

The message is written in a typewriter font, which looks very professional. I begin to read.

To Cammile Frank, Student ID Number 58013

We have been observing your entire session at Fighting Academy Number 674, and we are impressed. You have achieved a total score of 599, which is almost unheard of. Almost.

Over the years, we have acquired a league of seven girls from around the country, all around the age of 19. They are the best from their schools, all achieving scores similar to yours. We even have one that has achieved a perfect 600, named Charlie Seigman. Surprised you haven't heard of her? Well, you should be. She has pledged her loyalty to us, so she is kept top secret, just like you will be. But don't worry, you will find fame in your given time.

Anyway, we ask you, Cammile Frank, to join us. Your first term is one year, but we hope you will choose to stay longer. You will be paid, and your entire school will benefit.

The choice is up to you.

There's no signature, no sign of who wrote the letter at all. At the very bottom, however, there are two words written. It appears to have been handwritten, and the penmanship is poor. I can barely read the words, but after staring them for a few seconds, they becomes legible.

I read it out loud.

"The Diversions."