chapter 2

“Happy birthday, Esmé.” Jaffar said, patting Esmé’s head as she clutched her stuffed elephant with delight.

“Thank you Daddy.” She chimed in her angelic voice.

She ran off.

“I must say I’m impressed.” Amelia said, handing him the empty box. “Within all the years I knew you, I never expected you to be such a wonderful father.”

“I think fourteen years ago I would’ve taken that as an insult.”

She smiled. “And I would’ve been smart enough to tell Nino and not you.”

He returned her smile. “You still confuse me beyond profound limits.”

“I thought that was Nino’s job.”

“I knew you before I knew Nino.”

“Ha.”

“Amelia, can I ask a question?”

“Of course.” Lia replied.

“Do you think . . . Esmé will be alright?”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m worried about her. I try telling Nino all the time, but she takes it as me favoring Sain.”

“I do believe you’re just being a father. I may be a mother myself, but I can see from a father’s point of view. A daughter is far different from a son. Not only physically or emotionally, but in a way I guess you could call exceptional.”

“I’m trying to get Nino to see that.”

“You’re worried because she has her mother’s eyes.” Lia cast an all-knowing glance at him.

He studied her gaze for a moment, wondering just exactly how well she knew him. He knew it was more than the fact that they had once been in love, in what seems centuries ago. Lia had always seen more than others; it was like she could see into people.

“Those eyes hold strange powers.” He answered.

“Hm. That’s funny because she told me her father once told her that is what her mother had said about his eyes. I guess it runs in the family.”

“It was the thing that I noticed most about her. Back when her hair was that lime green color- her eyes still outshone it. And Esmé . . . I just have a feeling it’s going to attract fatal attention.”

“And I have a feeling Esmé will turn out just like her mother- smart, sly and deviant. She may not be as lucky to find a man for herself like Nino has . . . but don’t forget, Nino had no siblings. Esmé does and no matter what- good siblings never let each other go astray.”

“Hm. Like when Siniika told me one day to never let Nino slip through my hands.”

“And was she right?”

“Very.”

“You would’ve regretted everything.” Lia winked and turned to leave.

Jaffar stared after her, lost in his own thoughts.

~

Nino sighed as she lay down next to her husband that night.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Esmé is already seven . . . and I was just thinking of Marian.” Nino answered.

“You mean the one from long ago or Limestella’s daughter?”

“The dead one.” Nino said with disdain. “I miss her every day.”

“We all do.” Jaffar yawned.