chapter 5

He had arrived on the day of Sain’s birthday- but cut and bruised incessantly. Nino wanted to scream at him for his appearance- how would it be explained to the kids? But, instead, she pursed her lips and worked with Amelia to cover the cuts the best they could.

Nino had gotten up after a few minutes to check on Esmé- and to keep them distracted from their father.

“You know, you’ve really disappointed her.” Lia said quietly. No one could bore guilt into him like she did. And it wasn’t just because of her brother . . . .

“Don’t start. You know perfectly well I’ll hear it enough from Nino.” He grimaced.

She pulled a wrap around his arm unnecessarily tight, glaring at him.

“Ow! What the hell was that for?!”

“For disappointing your wife.”

He only cast her a confused look.

“Don’t look at me that way, Jaffar.” Lia concentrated on his arm. “You know perfectly well I take Nino’s side.”

“An angel-sent demon.” He commented.

She grinned devilishly, flashing her powerful eyes in a menacing way. She really could be evil when she wanted to.

Nino re-entered the room. “Sain wants you to meet his new friend, by the way.”

“Friend?”

“Heath’s daughter.”

“Priscilla, I’m guessing?” he asked.

“What if it’s Emma?” Nino raised an eyebrow.

“Sain has the same tastes as I do. He wouldn’t go for Emma.”

Nino regarded him for a short second. “Hmph. Well, anyways, you should meet her today. I assume he’ll be around her.”

Amelia finished. She stood up, and smiled to Nino. She left.

Jaffar looked to his wife. “She’s evil.”

“Lia?” Nino laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous.”

Oh, of course Nino wouldn’t believe him.

~

“Mommy, what’s Earth like?” Esmé asked.

“Ugh. Humans.” Jaffar mumbled.

Nino turned on him. “I am human, thank you. And so is this entire planet. Well, technically.”

He smirked. “You were hard to deal with.”

She ignored him. “Earth is very different from this place, Esmé. The people and climate are especially. It differs depending on where you go.

Sain appeared in the court. Priscilla walked alongside him, smiling politely.

“Mother, Father.” He greeted when they reached his family. He cast a glance at the lovely girl beside him. “This is Priscilla.”

“Hello, Priscilla.” Nino greeted politely.

She curtsied. She was obviously shy. The two joined them, making polite conversation. Esmé seemed to particularly adore Priscilla.

“Nino!” Heath greeted, slapping his hand on her shoulder. “Good to see you back, Jaffar.”

“Hello, Heath.” Nino returned. “How’s Nemii?”

His face gave a sarcastic smirk. “Let’s just say I don’t get much sleep.”

“You know, Siniika is a great babysitter.” Jaffar offered.