chapter 3

“Gimmie that back!” Esmé squealed to her brother. He was holding her stuffed elephant high out of her reach, trying to push her down with his arm.

“No! You broke my hilt!” he yelled.

“I did not! Gimmie gimmie!”

“No!”

“Sain! Quit being a jerk! Mommy!”

“Knock it off you two I have work to do!” Nino commanded.

Jaffar took the elephant out of Sain’s hands and handed it back to Esmé.

Sain hissed at his sister. “Mommy’s girl.”

She scowled and stuck out her tongue.

“Hush Sain,” Jaffar said in annoyance. “We’ll get you another hilt. Esmé why did you break it?”

“I didn’t-“

“Did too!” Sain interjected.

“Sain!” Jaffar barked.

Esmé skipped away before he could say another word. He turned to Sain.

“Father, that isn’t fair!”

“Don’t complain, Sain.” Jaffar stated. “You know she wouldn’t lie about that. And don’t-!” he stopped Sain from commenting. “There are more important things to get upset over, but your sister isn’t one. Be the bigger person. You’ll be a man soon, so let it go. Now go along, and let your mother work.”

Sain, pouting, didn’t say another word and left. Nino had paused from her work to watch Jaffar’s reactions. He turned and noticed Nino watching him. He went over to her, rubbing his forehead.

“I believe he obeys you without question. He wouldn’t do that for me.”

Jaffar shook his head. “Nino, this is harder than I ever thought. And to think Esmé will go through that stage too.”

“I’m guessing another baby is out of the question?”

His eyes immediately flickered to hers. “Are you crazy?”

Nino smirked and held up a document for him to see.

“What? You know I hate paperwork. Besides it’s your kingdom. I’m just your husband.”

“Nice try.” Nino said. “Read.”

He read it, then threw it back down. “The point was?”

“For you to understand just how much I do around here.”

“I didn’t say you weren’t busy.”

“This is what I would have to drop if I went on your little vacation idea.” She crossed her arms.

“You used to love getting away from here.” He noted, taking her hand. “You would kill for a break.”

“Things change.”

He didn’t respond. She went back to work, causing further strained silence.

~

“Nino,” he said the next day. “I’ve found another assignment.”

She paused from combing her hair, and turned to face him.

“What do you mean? You gave up on that ten years ago.”

“I didn’t give up; I was finished with everything on my list.”

“Then why are you going back to it?” her eyes began to glitter with worry.